Changing Perspectives

❝ All that I am

All that I am

All that I ever was

Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can

see

𓆩⛥𓆪

Embry Call felt like shit. Not in the sense that he actually felt bad about something but in the sense that he was sick and felt like he was actually dying.

The previous night, Embry had come home from a trip to the grocery store sopping wet with rain water and in a state of mild shock. Naturally, his mother had been concerned. Especially when he started talking all philosophical, like he was contemplating his entire existence. And the truth was that he actually was kind of beginning to rethink everything; for, that night Embry had witnessed something that had caught him completely off-guard.

You know that moment when... you think you know a person, when you really think that you've got them all figured out and then they turn around and do something that completely changes the way you see them? That's what it was like for Embry when he'd realised that the tiny, trembling silhouette hyperventilating on the floor outside the supermarket was Johara Black.

Johara had always struck him as the confident type. From the moment he'd met her, she had embodied the whole "I don't give a fuck", rebel without a cause, "nothing gets to me unless I want it to" vibe and, honestly, she played the part of the carefree, put-together, trouble-making delinquent, who gave zero fucks about anything, so well that there wasn't a single soul on the reservation who would've ever questioned Embry's perception of her. The kind of person Jo was, in his mind, was certainly not the type to be breaking down behind a grocery store, crying and having a panic attack in the rain type at all.

So, of course, after witnessing that he had to go home and question everything in his life. Because if a girl as steadfast and strong and... consistent in her behaviour as Johara Black was actually someone so completely different from what he had thought then what else was he so terribly wrong about?

For example, he always liked jazz because he thought that it sounded nice on the rare occasion that he listened to it. But what if he kept listening, listening just a little closer and found that it actually "sucked ass" as Quil put it.

Yes, to Embry, Johara Black was like jazz... and milk.

You see, most people (like Embry) just open their fridges and voila!: milk. You don't really pay attention to the type or brand or anything like that, you just take the milk and carry on with your day. But then Embry's mom decided to ask him to do the grocery shopping and suddenly there were tons of different kinds of milk. Low fat, medium-fat, fat-free, long life, almond, soy, oat... and all these different brands too! It was like the warm, comfortable little bubble he'd been living in — filled with things he knew and understood — had burst and now he was exposed to all these seemingly infinite possibilities and no way of being able to choose what to do.