Crazy

❝ I remember when

I remember when

I remember, I remember when I lost my mind

There was something so pleasant about that place

Even your emotions have an echo in so much space

𓆩⛥𓆪

"Please, Mr Midthunder!" Jo begged, slamming her hands onto her teacher's desk, "I'll do anything. Just please let me switch partners."

Naturally, after their not-so-little squabble, Jo was intent on switching partners for the project they'd been assigned. Aside from that reason, Embry also hadn't been at school in about two weeks — and despite everything he'd said to her, Jo was beginning to worry about him.

He hadn't been skipping just to avoid her, right?

After their argument, some people say that they saw Embry run off into the woods with Jared Cameron. Others say that he collapsed and an ambulance had to come pick him up. Either way, Embry hadn't been seen since that day. According to Jacob, he'd called in sick. Apparently it was mono or something but neither of the Black twins were buying that excuse.

"I'm afraid that it's not possible to switch partners at this point in the term, Miss Black," her teacher calmly told her, peering at her over his round spectacles.

"But my partner's been MIA for weeks now! Surely you can make an exception! Let me work on my own, even. Please," she reasoned, growing desperate and irritated.

Surely an incompetent partner who wasn't even coming to school would be a valid enough reason to bend the rules but noooo.

The man sighed and removed his glasses.

"I'm sorry, Johara, but it's too late to make any of these changes. Everyone in my class has to participate. Even those that are frequently absent," he explained to her, tone genuinely sympathetic, "I understand that you're—"

The man cut himself off, frowning deeply, putting his glasses back on and narrowing his eyes at her. His scrutinising expression prompted Jo to straighten up and take a step back.

"Are you alright, Johara?" He queried, "Your eyes—"

Jo's brows furrowed and she glanced over at her reflection in the window beside Mr Midthunder. It was blurred and barely perceptible but Jo could still faintly discern the colour of her eyes, flickering between brown and bright gold.

Her eyes widened and she ducked her head, a hand coming up to shield them from view. She blinked a few times, rubbing them with her finger.

"Yeah, uh, I think something's stuck in my contacts. I'll—" she cleared her throat, "I'll be right back."