Progress

❝ All I want is nothing more

All I want is nothing more

To hear you knocking at my door

'Cause if I could see your face once more

I could die a happy man I'm sure

Jo sat on the forest floor, her chest heaving as she desperately struggled for breath. Frustrated tears stung her eyes as she bit down on her bottom lip to keep it from quivering.

I think it's safe to say that after about two hours in the forest with Grams, Jo was in a right state. She was exhausted and frustrated with herself. They'd spent ages, trying to do everything Grams could think of to help Jo ease into using her powers but, alas, nothing had worked. This was supposed to be the easiest part! The teen thought that learning to control the element she was most connected to would be a breeze. That's what Grams told her. But no. It was a pain in the ass and she was seriously questioning the ancestors' choice of Thunderbird.

Grams let out a tired sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Okay, why don't you take a break. I've got some boring council meeting I'm obligated to attend so I'll be back in a little bit. Keep trying, just try to relax and clear your head. You're thinking about it too much," Grams said in a soothing tone.

But Jo was having none of it.

"Gee, thanks, Grams. I hadn't noticed," she spat sarcastically with an eye roll.

Grams just shook her head.

"I'll see you later, Jojo," she bid, giving the girl a pat on the shoulder before turning around and heading back to her house.

Jo sighed and hung her head in shame as she stood up on trembling legs and grabbed her backpack off one of the low hanging branches she'd placed it on earlier. The girl rummaged through the bag for a while before pulling out an old Walkman and headphones. She placed the headphones over her ears and tipped her head backwards to let it rest on the rough tree bark behind her.

The girl honestly didn't know what was wrong with her. She'd really believed that she could do it but then as soon as Grams had asked... she just couldn't. It was weird. Like her mind was resisting against the power.

As the soft words filtered through her headphones and enveloped Jo's senses, the girl finally relaxed. Her scraped up and dirtied palms, rested against the dried, dead leaves of the forest floor on either side of her body, keeping her steady as she silently let herself cry from frustration.