28

Spencer had rushed that morning, getting called into a case just as the mailman was delivering letters

Spencer had rushed that morning, getting called into a case just as the mailman was delivering letters. He put whatever clean clothes he could find in his wardrobe into his go bag and threw on some clothes before heading out of his building, taking his mail from the mailman as he left, knowing if anything important was going to be delivered he wouldn't see it for at least a week.

The case was on a time limit. A ransom note had been delivered to an apparent celebrity in exchange for his wife, and said celebrity asked for the best team to find her, and so there the team was, on the jet on the way to LA. Spencer was not a fan of the city, and in fact thought it the fakest place on earth. The city itself was the centre of film and everyone there would undoubtedly do anything to get even a lick of the spotlight. In Spencer's mind, that kind of ambition that seemingly everyone in the city had was the kind that fostered a sociopathic attitude where people would sacrifice anyone for their dreams.

The briefing on the plane was quick, they all knew what they were to be doing when they got to the house they'd be working from. Spencer was to read through the ransom note and work through any CCTV footage that may have shown what happened. Derek and Emily were visiting what they believed was the primary location. Hotch, Rossi and JJ were going to interview friends, family, body guards and staff that may have known if there were any warning signs. However, for the mean time, they were left to their own devices on the jet.

Spencer figured he'd take the opportunity to look through his mail, see if Elizabeth's letter had been delivered. Upon seeing her curly handwriting, he smiled slightly. He didn't think that something as simple as someone else's handwriting could ever make him happy.

He opened the envelope, popping the blue wax seal, he'd have to ask her why she had switched from green wax she typically used before they met. Her elegant handwriting soothed his mind as they soared through the sky and-

P.P.P.S. The x's are kisses :)

Did he read that right? He read it over again, and again and again. He was defiantly reading it right. Spencer's heart was pounding in his chest. She'd sent him kisses. His face had flushed a warm red and his lips had curled into a smile as he re-read her writing.

"Spencer, you good?" Derek asked. "You've gone all red."

"Yeah." Spencer spluttered, his voice significantly higher than usual. "I'm fine, it's nothing." He lied. It was everything.

"Really? Can I see what's making boy genius blush then?"

Spencer really didn't want to show them the letter, but he knew that Derek wouldn't stop asking until he saw it. Reluctantly, Spencer handed the letter over to his friend, careful as to not crease the paper. It seemed like Derek was taking forever to read the letter, and Spencer felt himself grow more and more embarrassed by the second.

"So this is the kind of stuff the two of you talk about in the letters you won't show anyone else? Spencer, I think you've found someone whose just a big a nerd as you."