10

Elizabeth withdrew from a lot of her usual social activities after the incident with Connor, trying to avoid any situation in which she could run into him

Elizabeth withdrew from a lot of her usual social activities after the incident with Connor, trying to avoid any situation in which she could run into him. She even avoided going to the weekly lunch she went to with Jasmine and May.

The only time she went outside was to deliver the short letter she'd written to Spencer. She felt like she was being watched when she did so, as though Connor's eyes were on her all over again. Her curtains remained closed as she stayed in the house. She couldn't even bring herself to open a window in case Connor tried to crawl through it.

She had no idea why she'd been sent into a spiral like she was, all she knew is that Connors reaction to how she reacted scared her. She wanted to avoid him at all costs, and even that was going to be difficult. Cannon Beach was small, the only way to actually avoid someone was to stay in your house, so that was what she did.

She focused on chess, so she didn't have to think about anything else. She shut off her cell so she didn't have to deal with any texts or phone calls. She even unplugged the landline so she didn't have to deal with any annoying ringing that may have came out of it.

She practically forgot about time, so when she answered the pounding on the door, she finally realised how bad it had gotten.

Outside stood Jazzy and May, both with worried looks on their faces.

"Do you know how many times we've called?" Jasmine yelled, pushing herself inside the house. "We thought you'd died! I had half the mind to call the police when you didn't call back."

"I'm sorry, I was focusing on chess, my cell was on silent."

"For three days? You were focusing on chess for three days? Tell me Elizabeth, when was the last time you slept, or ate, or drank anything, because your house looks a mess, but I don't see any dishes."

"I'm fine, I don't need help, I need to focus. I'm leaving in less than two weeks, and this competition is important."

"No, this does not come over your health. You look like you haven't showered this whole time so you're going to do that first and get into new clothes while me and May clean up your stuff. No more chess for today. We're going to order you some food and you are going to talk to us about what's been bothering you."

"Look, I appreciate it, I really do but I just want to be alone right now."

May finally spoke up. "You may want to be alone, but what you need is support. You can't expect all your problems to go away if you don't have help. Plus how do you expect to beat the best when you smell like ass?"

"By distracting them, look can you guys please just leave. I'm fine."

"No, shower, now. Before I have to drag you there myself."

Elizabeth groaned, walking to her bathroom. As much as she hated both Jasmine and May invading her space, they were right. What she was doing wasn't healthy, in fact it was the opposite. Before she hopped in the shower, she put her cell on charge.