32

Despite still having a month left before the move, Elizabeth was already packing up her things, organising the things she wanted to keep, what she wanted to donate and figuring out how the hell she was going to get the couch into the U-Haul van

   Despite still having a month left before the move, Elizabeth was already packing up her things, organising the things she wanted to keep, what she wanted to donate and figuring out how the hell she was going to get the couch into the U-Haul van.  Even so, the books were defiantly the most difficult to choose from.

   She had to take her language and linguistics books, for obvious reasons, and of course she was bringing her chess books. Just because she was becoming a professor doesn't mean she was going to give up on her place in the chess world. And there was no way she was getting rid of a majority of her literature, she'd spent time annotating and analysing the themes of the novels she'd read, and there was no way she was going to let some random teenager use her notes for an essay they'd forgotten to do.

   There really wasn't much to do anymore, in regards to the big things. She'd paid the deposit on the apartment she'd be staying in, as well as the U-Haul. All her paper work was finished, including changing her address on the voter registration forms. She'd even managed to sell her home for a decent price to a lovely couple who had plans on turning the attic into a bedroom for the family they were planning on having. She was also looking for a car in the area before she moved, knowing that her commute to the university would be significantly longer if she decided to use public transport. 

   The knock at her door startled her out of her train of thought, and she began to make her way to the door. Taking a look out the peep hole, she took a sigh of relief. She opened the door.

   "Mr Thomas, how are you? What are you doing here so late?" She asked, moving to let the old man inside.

   "I saw your light on from my living room, and I've made far too many cookies for just me." He said, lifting the box up and placing it on the counter. "Now, I made sure that I didn't use any animal products and the like in them, so I know they're kosher. Also, how many times do I have to tell you to call me John?"

   "Right, sorry."

   "What are you doing up this late? Shouldn't you be asleep?" He asked.

   "It's only eleven, plus I've got to figure out which books I'm going to donate to the library, which at this rate is going to take me the whole month." She sighed, looking at the bookshelves and towers of books that were all over the room.

   "How about I come over in the morning and help you figure it out, we go through one by one and figure out which ones you need, which ones you want and which you haven't read in years, because to me it looks like some of these haven't been touched in a while."

   Elizabeth nodded, "Yeah, that would be nice, thank you."

   "Alright, well I'll leave the cookies with you. Get some sleep and I'll be over at around ten tomorrow morning." Mr Thomas smiled, heading back to the door. "Lock your door when I leave, that psycho who hurt that poor girl still hasn't been caught and honestly kid, I don't feel like being a key witness in an investigation if something happens to you."