Chapter 9

~ Marinette's POV ~

"Marinette? Could you please come help us in the bakery?"

I am not a morning person. After I attempt to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes then blink out the blur, I take a look at my clock. 9:47.

"Yes, of course."

Mama gives me a grateful smile before closing my trapdoor. Sighing, I stand and stretch.

"Happy Saturday, Marinette" Tikki says as she hugs my cheek. I smile in response. Walking into my closet, I pull out peach coloured leggings and a navy blue shirt I designed a long time ago but never got to wear.

At 2:30 I have to meet Rose and Kitty Section at their show. I make a mental note in my head not to forget the bags of clothes. When I've dressed, brushed my teeth, applied concealer and changed my bandage, I head downstairs.

"Marinette, could you work the cash register?"

******************

The customers go by in a blur. It's currently 12:18. A yawn escaped my mouth as I look down to quickly check on Tikki who sits in my purse munching on a cookie.

"Busy morning?" a familiar voice asks. I plaster on a smile "Yeah, something like that. What can I get for you?"

Nathaniel considers for a moment before answering. "Two banana muffins please." An awkward silence settles between us as I prepare his meal. I was never close to Nathaniel. The only time we've hung out outside of school was when he was the Evilistrator and had been in love with me. But other then that, I don't think we've ever hung out alone. I barely know anything about the guy.

"That will be $3.50."

He opens his wallet and hands me the cash. "So, how are you and Luka doing?"

I grimace. Luka and I had separated not that long ago. It broke my heart. And when the realization that I could never have a boyfriend - because I'm Ladybug and the Guardian - hit me, those broken pieces shattered.

"We...broke up not that long ago." I finally manage. His lips pinch into a straight line.

"Oh I'm...sorry to hear that."

"Yeah" I take in a large breath.

"Well, I should get going. It was nice seeing you."

"Mhm" and with that, Nathaniel is out the door. There are no costumers in line right now, so I let lose the breath I had been holding and lean on the counter.

Whether I like it or not, I'm going to have to face Luka tonight. After all, he is in the band. I close my eyes as scenario's play through my head of what our encounters could be like. Most result in sad smiles and tensions that could only be cut with a very, very sharp knife.

"Miss?" Oops.

"Sorry, what can I get for you sir?"

~time skip~

I have half an hour until I have to meet the band when I finally climb up to my room. Running to the closet I pick out a suitable outfit.

 Running to the closet I pick out a suitable outfit