Chapter 12

~ Ladybug/ Marinettes POV ~

I hang up on Chat Noir and take a deep breath. I had almost gotten akumatized! I can't let that happen again. My head is spinning and all I want to do is curl up in a ball and hide from my responsibilities. But I can't. I won't. Taking in one last heavy breath, I swing my yo-yo and make my way to my house.

***
"spots off."

Tikki lands on my cheek and snuggles into my face. "Marinette..."

"I know." I can't talk about earlier right now. "I need a distraction." Looking around my room, my eyes land on the pictures of Adrien. I don't let myself reach out to caress his pretty face. Sitting up from my bed, I turn to face the kwami. "Tikki, Adrien was never mine. And he never will be. It's time to move on." Her little eyes widen. "For real."

She sighs, "I'm proud of you Marinette. Your the most amazing holder I've ever had, I hope you know that." She begins to tear up as she says, "I'll give you some space."

"Thank you."

And so, I get started on my project. Bringing out a trash can, one by one I pull the pictures of Adrien Agreste off of my wall. I take off the model photos and his schedule that I had made a long time ago. Looking at it, I realized that it might have been borderline creepy. I hold the last model picture of Adrien in my hand when a knock sounds on my window.

My eyes meet green ones through the glass. He looks sad.

"Chat Noir? What's wrong?"

~Adrien/Chat Noirs pov~

I can't believe Ladybug hung up on me. She sounded irritated...I wish I knew what's wrong. I wish I could pour my heart out to her. For me to be able to tell her all of my problems and thoughts. No. It's not worth the pain. Think about something else.

Marinette.

Thinking about Marinette's actions today make my heart stutter. What in the world happened to her? I guess we'll just have to ask.

***

Marinette kneels on her bed, staring at something in her hand. Her face is sadder than earlier. Not good.

"Chat Noir? What's wrong?"

I jump into her room and land beside her. "Nothing." Finally, I notice what she's holding. "What are you doing?"

"Oh- well I'm just taking down these pictures."

Confusion and another unidentifiable feeling creep into my stomach. "Why? I thought he was your friend."

She sighs. "He is. And that's all he'll ever be."

Now I'm really confused. "What do you mean?"

She throws her arms in the air "oh my gosh! Isn't it obvious Chat? I've been in love with him for years now. I have tried to confess to him multiple times and he either never noticed or didn't want to hurt my feelings. But now, now I'm done. I'm his friend and nothing more. I don't need the extra stress any way."

I have no words. I'm stricken. Paralyzed. What did she just say!? - Are literally the only words in my mind.

"So, I'm taking these photos down. Once and for all."