Bucky Barnes - he defends you when the team hates you (pt. 1)

Teen reader | platonic
.
TRIGGER WARNING: Self harm
.
You all had just finished a mission and were on the plane back to the Avengers tower but this time, instead of everyone talking to each other about the victory, everyone was glaring at you and whispering while you sat off in the corner looking down at the floor.

You had accidentally lost control of your powers and injured Steve and Thor but luckily since Steve was a super soldier and Thor was a literal god, they were healing well, but the rest of the team were well pissed at you.

You had similar powers to Wanda but unlike her, you never learned how to control them until a year ago, when Tony found you and brought you to the tower, where the Avengers became the family you never had since your parents abandoned you after a few incidents with your powers. And since you were only 16, learning how to control them was draining and you still sometimes lost control.

Another thing about your powers is that you could sense energies and feelings and right now, in the jet, you could feel nothing but hatred towards you from everyone, or, almost everyone. The only person who you didn't feel radiated hate towards you nor was sat with the team whispering was Bucky, rather he was sitting in the middle of you and the team and you read sympathy from him, which gave you some sense of relief to know that at least 1 person didn't hate your guts.

This went on the whole ride home you when the jet landed, you got off as fast as you can and sped off to your room, finally allowing yourself to breakdown once the door was locked. You cried and cried for what seemed like forever, the stress of the mission catching up with you and the memory of a little girl dying in your arms while you were carrying her to her family flashed in your mind. Once you got her to them, she was no longer breathing and the look the family gave you was absolutely heartbreaking. Nevertheless they thanked you for retrieving her but that didn't make you feel any better, but of course you didn't tell this to the team because they would hate your guts even more.

Once you had exhausted your tears, you stood up but felt a jolt of pain on your abdomen. You had temporarily forgotten about the wound you had obtained in the fight but you hid it from the team on the way back since you could also create illusions, fearing they would say you were playing the victim. You went into the bathroom and peeled off your suit, hissing at the sting.

The wound was much worse than you thought. It ran from your right rib down to your belly button and blood was leaking out of it. It definitely needs treatment from Bruce you thought, so you slipped on a shirt and some pants, then checked the corridor to ensure that no one was there, then you made your way down to the lab.

You didn't know how Bruce would react though, since he wasn't on the mission, he didn't know you lost control but you didn't know whether the team had filled him in yet but you knew that wound needed treatment so you took your chances. Once you got there, you used your powers and sensed that it was only Bruce inside, so you knocked on the door and came in.

"Hi Y/N, is everything okay?" he asked. So the team hasn't filled him in. You removed the illusion and showed him the deep red stain on your shirt that was growing by the second and his face paled. "I need to fix that immediately, sit" he instructed and you did so. He instantly went to work, disinfecting it and stitching it up and boy it hurt like a bitch. After an agonizing hour, he finally bandaged you up and let you go. You thanked him, thankful that you got stitched up before the team told him and you made your way back to your room.

You were so deep in thought you quite literally ran into someone and stumbled back but you felt two arms catch you. You looked down and waited for the yelling but it didn't come. Instead there was a soft yet concerned voice. "Y/N? Are you okay? Why were you just with Bruce?" You looked up to see Bucky and you were incredibly grateful for your power to create illusions, hiding the wound. You still couldn't sense any hatred from him and you were incredibly relieved it wasn't anyone else.

"Im fine, I have to go" you mumbled and rushed off before he could say anything else. You locked yourself back in your room and felt the tears coming, and your breathing sped up, sending you into the second breakdown of the day and eventually, you cried yourself to sleep.

You would have thought the anger the team has for you would only last a day or two but boy were you wrong. It's been 2 weeks and no one has even made an attempt to even acknowledge your existence, hatred still radiating towards you from everyone even though you tried to apologize profusely. Everyone hated you except Bucky and oddly Bruce. You would have figured he would hate you but he didn't, telling you to regularly come in so he could check your wound, which you begged him not to tell everyone. Bucky would constantly turn around and defend you and yell at the team after you had left but they didn't budge and would also try to make conversation with you but you said sorry and walked away every time, not wanting to be around everyone else.

Your schedule even changed to avoid them, you'd eat breakfast extremely early in the morning and locked yourself in your room for the whole day, then come out at midnight for a snack, since there was no dinner for you and even though Bucky had split his dinner in half and left it outside your door, you never ate it because you felt like you didn't deserve it and it was his. You had also befriended a little shiny blade, which was the reason for the red lines scattering your arms. The guilt of hurting the team, the hatred, the guilt of not being able to save the girl all collapsing down on you. You didn't know how else to release your emotions, so this became your coping mechanism.