[ 31 ] team 7

previously. . .

"We should return, Naruto. Your team has grown restless."

"Right." Naruto gave a thumbs up to the beast behind bars. "Thanks for hearing us out, Past Kurama! We're counting on you!"

As they left the mindscape, the Nine Tailed Beast settled his head on his paws, but sleep evaded him.

Kurama.

When was the last time he had heard his name?

///\

Team 7 had found themselves falling from adrenaline rushes after the incident, and although shinobi were trained for this type of fight-and-go, Kakashi knew they were only new genin. He'd had them set up camp after traveling a half hour more, despite knowing they would push on as long as he asked them to.

Naruto's outrage had left his students a little restless.

They sat in a circle now, passing ration bars and watching the fire.

"Future Naruto and I will keep watch while you three rest." Kakashi was standing alongside Naruto, leaning casually against a tree. "We'll reach Orochimaru's hideout early tomorrow. Don't waste this time."

Sakura nodded. Sasuke took a bite of his meal. Past Naruto didn't seem to hear a thing Kakashi-sensei had said.

"Naruto," Kakashi continued, his single visible eye locked onto his young student. He waited to have his attention, which was only granted once he cleared his throat loudly. Past Naruto glanced up, a haze clearing from his eyes.

"Sorry, Kakashi-sensei."

Naruto was gnawing on his own bar, listening to the conversation. He felt Kakashi's prompting gaze on him. He glanced over, and they shared a look. Naruto sighed. He shoved the rest of his food into his mouth, plopping down to sit with his team of the past.

"What you just saw, Sakura, Sasuke, was the power of the Nine Tailed Beast." Naruto looked to his past self. "What you just felt, Little Me, was the Nine Tails. You know, right?"

Past Naruto looked away. "Of course."

Sakura furrowed her brows. Both she and Sasuke sensed they were trekking on tender territory. "I don't understand. . .Why did Naruto lose control?"

Naruto put a hand to his chin. "Good question. Ne, Little Me. What were you focused on right before you felt his power?"

Past Naruto couldn't get over the fact that, for once, he had all of the attention without trying. His own curiosity burned. He wanted answers. He wanted to know more about himself, about the monster within him.

"Sakura-chan. I was thinking that. . .that the zombies would kill her if I didn't save her."

Sakura set down her onigiri. She put her hands in her lap. "He's right. I could've been killed."

"You would've been," Naruto corrected. "The Nine Tailed Beast sensed that Little Me was vulnerable. He knew he would do anything in that moment if it meant saving you. When you're at your most desperate," he spread his hands, "that's when he worked best."

"It's a monster," Past Naruto said. He picked at the grass in front of him. The venom in voice was chilling; unfamiliar to Sakura and Sasuke. 

"He."

Team 7 blinked simultaneously. Past Naruto looked up. "Huh?"

"The Nine Tails is a 'he.' I'm sure he's awfully offended when you call him an 'it.'" Naruto tilted his head. "He has feelings too, y'know."