Chapter 11

After my walk with Thomas, I took a long, well deserved nap in my room. Knocking woke me up. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to leave it.

"Come in," I called out, then snuggled deeper, pulling the covers to my chin. Irene's head poked in first, then she stepped in and closed the door behind her.

"You slept?"

"Mhm, what time is it?"

"Dinner time," she replied, coming to sit on the bed.

"Thanks for the cake by the way."

"Don't mention it," she waved me off.

"I don't think I can sit at the same table with that guy yet, otherwise he'll end up with a knife sticking out of his forehead."

Irene grinned, "actually, we're having dinner with everyone else. That's their tradition."

"What do you mean 'everyone else'?"

Irene grinned, pulling the cover off of me, "come on sleepy head."

I groaned, but got up, used the toilet and checked myself in the mirror. I washed my face and ran my hand through my hair. Good enough.

"So who's everyone else?" I asked while strapping on my weapons.

"Arthur has collective dinner with his seconds and the men and women working under him every once in a while. Today happened to be one of those days."

"Of course," I grumbled, "who'll be there?"

"A lot of people including everyone who was at lunch and everyone who chased you today."

I sighed, "that's a lot of people."

"Mhm, I met Corbin and Vanessa earlier, they seem to like you."

I felt a smile breaking through. I couldn't help it. Corbin was adorable. And I wanted to meet Vanessa again.

"Yeah, they're good kids."

"Vanessa is older than both of us, she's not a kid," Irene said with a frown.

"It's not always about age, foxy."

She stuck her tongue at me and I pointed at her, "see, the behaviour of a ten year old."

"Har har."

We went outside. The night had fallen, the sky above us a beautiful dark canva glittering with white stars. I exhaled, my breath fogged in the cool night air. Irene and I walked side by side on a trail.

"You know the way?"

"Yep, Charles gave me a tour earlier."

"Charles, huh?" I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

She gagged, "oh god, no! Arthur asked him to, since I'm going to be working here in the future."

"Ah, you decided."

"Yep. Also, I'm going to start training the juniors tomorrow."

The trail was well lit by the lampposts on either side of it, so I could see the excited light in Irene's eyes. "You like it?"

"Yeah, I like working with others. Teaching them stuff and seeing how they grow, knowing that I contributed to it, that I made a difference in someone's life, no matter how small."

I looked up at the sky. How great it must be to have an ambition, to have something you feel so passionate about. Ever since I could remember, my life centered around making sure I hide myself, and having the tools to defend myself in case I was discovered. I hugged myself against the chill, and the longing for another life. I didn't have that luxury.