Chapter 52

"You have a bond?" Taro said.

I raised my brow at Arthur. He shrugged. "I'll explain later."

I huffed out a breath. Fine. Returning my gaze to Taro, I found myself on the end of an appraising look. I pointed my knife at him. "Back to business, Taro. Who asked you to put them in touch with Malone? Either you answer, or I'll have Marianno here get the name from you."

I wouldn't actually ask Marianno to do it. However, my patience was wearing thin. The threat worked like a charm.

"It was a fae," Taro said. "Madeleine Byrne."

Arthur glanced at me. I shook my head. The name didn't ring any bells.

"How do you know her?" Arthur asked.

"We had a ...personal arrangement, from before I rose to head the witchcraft council."

Aha.

"And how did you make the connection," I asked. "Between Martine Malone being hired and uncle Robert's death."

"I overheard a conversation she was having on the phone," he replied. "She mentioned that Malone disappeared while on a mission to get rid of Robert Walsh. Of course, at the time, I didn't know of your presence. I only made the connection when I heard about you, and that you were raised by Robert Walsh. It was easy to draw conclusions."

I sighed and plopped down on the couch next to Arthur. Finally, we had a lead.

*** ***

"I hope you don't mind that I used you to threaten the guy," I told Marianno once we were driving back to Arthur's place. 

We had left Taro in his suite, unharmed. At least, I thought he was unharmed since Arthur stayed behind with Taro for a few minutes before catching up with us. He didn't smell like blood, so I didn't think he'd killed the witch.

Marianno's smile was bright in the rearview mirror. "Not at all. Use me to your heart's content, my lady."

Marianno looked like the subject didn't bother him. But there was something... I sensed something off in him. "Are you sure?" I frowned.

Arthur glanced at me.

"Yes," Marianno replied.

I rolled my shoulders. He still felt off.

"Why are you asking?" Arthur said.

"I don't know, I just feel like..." I looked over my shoulder at Marianno. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Marianno and Arthur shared a look. Then Marianno smiled, and this time it was a more sedate smile.

"I am fine. I simply... wonder whether it bothers you. My gift, that is."

"Oh," I shrugged. "I mean, not really. It would bother me if you were flippant with it. But you're not."

"How do you know I'm not flippant with it?" he asked, amused.

"Because that's not who you are," I said. "Besides, Arthur trusts you, so I do, too."

I narrowed my eyes at Arthur, who was driving the car with a small smile. "Although I'm not sure Arthur's moral lines align with mine."

Marianno chuckled. "If it makes you feel better, the fae have a natural mental resilience compared to other races. So do you."

"Hmm, that's good to hear." I tapped my fingers on the window sill. "Do you guys know her? Madeleine Byrne?"

"No," Marianno said. "But going to Ireland, I believe we'll have a chance in pursuing that thread."

"What about tonight's attack?"