Chapter 56

The rest of the drive to the castle was uneventful, fortunately.

Marianno had finished patching up my back shortly after we left the spelled area. It was sore and stiff, but it would feel better by the end of the day. Arthur stopped the car for a few minutes so I could put on a fresh change of clothes since my current top was shredded.

A couple of hours later, Arthur slowed down the car. A brief look through the window showed a forest that was no longer peaceful. Predators more dangerous than any animal perturbed the quiet of the woods; Fae and vampires, spread throughout the surrounding area. They were well hidden, but they were there.

"Security?" I asked Arthur.

"Yes," Arthur said. "We're getting close to the castle."

Anxiety churned in my guts. I didn't know what we would be getting into. It would be the six of us against an unknown threat. The mercenary attack was not a good omen for our stay here.

The woods turned less wild, the trees more sparse and the vegetation less dense. Then the cover of trees broke and our car rolled smoothly down a paved road. I leaned between the seats. The view through the windshield cleared up.

We were going down a slight hill, and all in front of us was a smooth plain of green grass and tended gardens, a few trees stood tall here and there. A bright blue lake shimmered under the clear sky as we moved closer, behind which stood a massive creature of gray stones and round towers. The castle. The windows dotting its facade reflected the sunlight, their number marking the castle's impressive size. There were people milling around the gardens, visible to my advanced sight, some on foot and others on horses.

Looking at it felt like being transported to another age. It was beautiful. Pictures didn't do it justice.

The knot in my guts tightened the closer we got. As the car rolled through the neat gardens, people gave it long looks. They knew who was in the vehicle.

Then we reached a circular driveway with a fountain spitting water in the center. Arthur stopped the car near the steps leading up to the front yard of the castle.

"Keep your guard up." With those words, Arthur exited the car, followed by everyone. I opened my door and froze. I willed my legs to step outside. They refused to move. Damn legs.

Arthur filled my open door, my sword in his hand. We looked at each other. The bond quivered under my turbulent emotions, and my magic pulsed, reacting to my feelings with the intent to attack and defend.

This was the place where it all started. And for better or for worse, this was where it would end. I would make sure of it. Uncle Robert's life and my mother's would not go in vain.

I reached for my sword and paused my hand halfway. Remembering the earlier massacre, I hesitated. Arthur pushed the sword into my palm and closed his hand around mine. Wrapping my fingers around the hilt, he squeezed.

Determination and reassurance steadied the bond. Arthur's magic draped over me, a fierce, protective force that dared the world to touch a hair on my body.

I was not alone. I would never be alone again. Leaning on Arthur's presence, borrowing his strength, I held my sword more firmly and stepped out of the car. I looked into Arthur's eyes as we stood face to face. My magic calmed down and my heartbeat steadied.

Arthur gave a nod. After a fleeting brush of his fingers on mine, we turned as one to face the fae.

My father and his consort, Amelia, were descending the steps. She wore a long sleeved, knee length dress of a deep blue color that complimented the auburn waves of her hair. Slender legs encased in nude high heels and make up expertly applied, not a hair was out of place on her. She looked elegant and put together, and her face wore its usual expression of a vulnerable smile and uncertain eyes.