Chapter 45

I couldn't sleep.

After I parted ways with Arthur, I took a long, hot shower, cleaned my sword then went to bed. I had been turning and tossing for at least an hour.

The cherubs in the ceiling stared back at me, their blue eyes clear in the dark room.

It didn't take a genius to guess the reason sleep wouldn't come. The last time I slept, I had woken up with blood drenching my hands and mouth. Who's to say that if I slept again, I wouldn't go looking for a midnight snack? 

Maybe that was a side effect of the spell breaking; turning into a sleep-walking bloodthirsty zombie.

My heartrate picked up at the thought. This was ridiculous. I needed sleep.

I picked up my sword and left my room. Arthur's was nearby. I stood in front of his door for several minutes, wondering whether I was going crazy. Or maybe I was dreaming.

I pinched myself. Ouch. Nope. I wasn't dreaming. I was actually considering spending the night in Arthur's room because I couldn't trust myself in my sleep.

Maybe I could go to Amanda? I shook away the thought. I didn't trust anyone else to keep me in line, other than Arthur.

"Stop overthinking and get in."

I stared at the door. It was still closed, yet that was definitely Arthur's voice. Embarrassed, I pushed the door open.

Arthur's room was almost an exact replica of mine. It was very impersonal. I didn't expect the castle's owner to sleep in what was almost a guest room. I guess he never really spent time here.

The only difference was the pull up bar mounted next to the window. Arthur was currently hanging upside down, doing crunches with so much ease.

His abs were very well defined, along with his pectorals, and-

I cleared my throat and looked away.

"How did you know I was out there?" I asked. He pulled himself up one last time then dropped to his feet. 

He raised one brow. "Do you actually think I won't be aware of someone standing by my door?" he said. "Besides, your mind is too loud."

He had already said something like this before. Wait. "You don't mean that literally, do you?"

He smiled. "And if I do?"

My eyes bugged out. "What? But Amanda didn't say anything about this!"

He chuckled. "Relax. I only get faint impressions through the bond when you are close, nothing concrete. However, just like emotions, thoughts can travel through the bond. Usually, mates keep their thoughts out of the bond because otherwise it gets too crowded in your head, they only use it to communicate."

"But it should work both ways," I said. "Why am I not sensing anything, other than emotions?"

"It's because the bond isn't complete," he said. "Once the bond is fully made, you can choose to receive my thoughts as well."

"Oh."

"So if it's mutual, you don't have a problem with it?" he asked.

"Not really, no."

He grinned. "Well, we can remedy that right away-"

"I'm going to skewer you," I said, pointing my sword at him. Blood rushed up to my face. His implication when I was right in the middle of his bedroom made me wish I stayed up the night alone.

"Make yourself comfortable," he said, heading to the bathroom. "I'll take a shower."

He winked and closed the door behind him. Seconds later, I heard the shower turn on.