Chapter 28

"I heard about the incident in your city," Venus said. Arthur made a non committal sound in his throat. Venus sighed. 

"You know I've been... away recently." Only a being of Venus and Arthur's age would refer to a few decades as recently.

"I do," Arthur replied, swirling the red liquid, one hand casually tucked in the pocket of his pants, "However, I find it odd that you were not aware of similar incidents in your own territory."

"Are you implying I am hiding something?" she asked, the threat obvious in the lines of her face. Her body locked, eyes flashing silver. She might be a pleasant, polite host, but she was still one of the Five.

"I don't imply anything, I'm telling you what I think about this entire mess," Arthur arched a brow, "you do realize, whether you were aware or not, these incidents will make you look bad."

"I will deal with the trouble in my territory," she said, "however, there are things you need to know."

Arthur and Venus looked to the left as one. The individual who'd been incessantly jabbing at my mind was getting closer, and my patience with them was growing thinner.

Venus heaved a deep sigh as a tall, blond male approached. "Here he comes."

"Awe, big sis. You hurt my feelings."

He looked better than in photographs. Wavy, dark blond hair that spilled to his shoulders, clear hazel eyes, a straight nose and a lighter, tamed scruff on his jaw. He looked like Arthur up close. They had the same nose and strong jawline. Along with the dimple. He was as tall as Arthur, but his build was more on the lanky side.

Burak lifted his glass as a salute to Arthur, his smile that of a man who knew how devastatingly handsome he was, "long time no see, brother."

"Burak."

"Won't you introduce me to the lovely lady in black?" Burak said, setting his eyes on me. My magic buzzed. Aha. He was the source of that annoying poking in my head. I pushed back, none too gently. His left eye twitched, but his smile was intact, and his irritating presence was still there. I grinned at him, my hand shifting under the cape.

His neck would look lovely with a red collar.

"This is Elle," Arthur said, "and judging by the smile on her face, if you don't stop whatever you're doing, Burak, you'll have a knife in your throat very soon."

Burak's brows shot up, his eyes glanced at the hand on the hilt of my sword. "Mhm, a warrior? Not your usual type, Arthur. But I can definitely see the lure." 

His comment brought back memories of similar words spoken by Poline back in Portland. I wondered what Arthur's type was.

"Alright." Venus rolled her eyes, "if we are done with the introductions, we need to discuss something in private."

Burak looked around us. People had vacated a radius of thirty feet around, but some of them were still raptly attentive to our conversation. "This is not private enough?"

"No, Burak, it's not." Venus replied, she didn't roll her eyes, but the urge was written on her face, "please follow me."

The crowd made a way for us again, as Venus led us towards the exit. The vampires standing guard at the doors tipped their heads but did not take their eyes off the crowd of immortals in the hall.

We followed Venus out of the banquet hall and down the grandiose hallway. Charles and I were on either side of Arthur. Burak fell into step beside me. I felt his gaze on my profile.

"You know, Arthur, having a fae as one of your people will grate on Ronan's nerves." Burak said, referring to my uncle.

"So you keep telling me." Arthur replied as we turned right. I glanced at Burak when his gaze didn't shift from my face. He winked. I stared ahead, understanding Venus' urge to roll her eyes at him. He reminded me of a few cocky human boys back in high school. Boys who taught they had the world at their feet because they were good looking and had athletic talents.