Part IV : Revelation

Arthur's POV

Arthur had never slept the way he did yesterday.

He opened his eyes and looked at the reason his very soul felt younger the last few months, as if he hadn't witnessed the birth and death of entire human civilisations, as if he hadn't found living to be a chore over the last century.

Elle was sleeping soundly, her head nestled on his shoulder.

She resuscitated his will to live.

He did not need sleep as most immortals did. Yet he often found himself falling into the deepest slumber when she lay breathing softly next to him every night.

He felt well rested. Not that they had done much sleeping last night. He smiled. She would certainly be shooting daggers at him if she knew his thoughts.

Arthur tugged at the bond between them. It was firm and strong. Only death would break it now.

He traced a finger to her collarbone. Her scars were slowly fading away. She mumbled something, lines appearing in her forehead, then snuggled closer. Arthur would love to stay this way for the rest of the day, but it was already noon. He had to finalize his business here in France before they headed to Ireland.

The thought of Elle in Ireland, where many would want her dead, made him want to flatten the entire British Isles. He wanted to ship her back home where she'd be safe. Then he'd find Robert's murderer and drag him to her feet so she could have her revenge.

What he wanted, however, would have to take a backseat to what she did. It was not easy for Arthur, but he was learning to compromise. Elle would scoff at the very thought.

The bond stirred.

"Shut up," she mumbled. "You're too loud."

"I'm not speaking," he said.

Her eyes cracked open at that. A green darkened by sleep. She squinted at him. "I know what you're thinking."

"Yes. The bond is complete."

"Oh." She shifted, then glanced down at herself. Color rose in her cheeks.

She was adorable.

"I'm not adorable." She glared at him, fully awake and heart beating fast. "And stop being so loud."

Tugging the sheet up to her neck, she asked. "I didn't even feel the bond come into place."

"I should hope so," Arthur said. "We were a little too busy to pay attention to the bond."

"Arrogant ass," she mumbled, then cleared her throat. "Will you... get out so I can put on my clothes."

Arthur grinned. "I already saw every-"

"I'm going to kill you." Her face turned into a tomato.

Arthur brushed a few golden strands from her face. "You will do no such thing. And I will not be going anywhere. Get used to it."

Much grumbling ensued. She gathered the sheet around her, which left him naked. She stood and threw a pillow at his head. The pillow floated softly to its place without touching him.

"I didn't say anything," Arthur said.

"You were thinking it," she said, heading to the bathroom.

"Are you that opposed to the idea of-"

"Don't finish that sentence!" She called from inside the bathroom. Arthur's sensitive hearing picked up the rustle of sheets as they fell to the floor and her movement as she moved to the shower. She paused. "And no, I'm not opposed to the idea."