Chapter 72

Locating Madeleine Byrne was easy. She was one of the few witches in the crowd. However, my father had to call out to her because as soon as she saw us, she turned around.

She just confirmed Taro's accusations.

"Miss Byrne!"

She froze at my father's call, shoulders tense, then turned. Her wide blue eyes flickered from me to my father, a sharp contrast to the soft brown of her skin and her dark curls. She was a tall woman, as tall as my father with her heels. Dressed in a bronze dress that wrapped around her lithe form, she looked like she belonged on the cover of a magazine.

"Your highness," she bowed her head.

"Madeleine, I don't believe you've met my daughter, have you?"

"Not yet, no," she said, dipping her head my way. Her eyes didn't stay on mine for more than one second. "A pleasure to meet you, your highness."

"Call me Elle, please." I smiled. "I have a feeling we'll spend a lot of time together very soon."

She sputtered. "I-I don't..."

My father narrowed his eyes on her. Madeleine's face paled, her gaze flickering behind me.

"Here you are, my love," Arthur said, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Won't you introduce us?"

"Madeleine Byrne, Arthur," I said, not taking my eyes off her. She was almost wheezing, her chest moving rapidly. I almost felt sorry for her. But then uncle Robert's broken body flashed before my eyes and any feelings of pity for her died a swift death.

"Orion, Lord Tristan would love to have a word with you," Amelia said, putting her hand on my father's arm.

"Of course," he replied. With a last glance at Madeleine, he left.

Madeleine took a step back. "Um- I'll just-"

"No." Arthur spoke softly, but the word might have been a barked order from the way Madeleine froze. "Now, Miss Byrne, I've been dying to have a chat with you."

She swallowed. "I don't know if I have anything of interest to you, my lord."

"Oh, I can think of a few things." Arthur smiled.

She pursed her lips. "I don't believe the king will appreciate-"

"I don't give a fuck what the king wants," Arthur said, his voice soft and even. Madeleine sucked in a sharp breath, fear written in every feature of her face. "The room is a little too crowded for my taste at the moment. So we'll take our conversation elsewhere. What do you say?"

She opened her mouth, before she could utter a sound, Arthur said. "Perfect. Why don't you join my man over there?" He nodded his head to the side, where Marianno stood by the wall with Noah, watching us. "He'll keep you company."

Madeleine stared at the two men, unmoving.

"Go," Arthur said. She moved.

I patted his chest. "You can be scary when you want to."

"I'm always scary, my love."

I had no doubt.

"Ah, your uncle finally arrived."

I looked at the fuss near the door. "Damn my height," I mumbled and stood on my tiptoes.

Arthur's arm around my waist hoisted me up inches in the air. I grinned at him and looked over people's heads. A man stood at the door, wearing a crisp tux, his hands behind his back as he announced loudly. "His majesty, the Fae King. King Rion. Hail to the king!"