Chapter 55

"What a lovely welcoming committee," Marianno said, pulling two blades from his ankle sheaths. "I never knew the fae were so hospitable."

"Hospitable, my ass," Irene mumbled. "How many are there? Around twenty four?"

"Twenty three," Charles said just as more vampires emerged from the shadows of the ruins.

"This many rogue vampires on Fae land is no coincidence," Noah said.

"And in the middle of a nullifying spell," I said. They must have known that with our magic, we'd have a massive advantage. Especially with Arthur around.

"Arthur?" I said, rolling my wrist.

The vampires advanced, closing in on us. They were armed with all sorts of weapons, from swords and spears to maces and axes. They were really going all out.

"They are not all rogues," Arthur said.

"What?" I looked around. The vampires I could see all had telltale signs of going rogue; the crazed look in their eyes, the jittery movements and the constant growling. But Arthur was right, there were a few who looked completely sane. Or as sane as one could be if they made the decision to attack one of the Five.

"Who is leading?" Arthur asked aloud. "Step forward."

One vampire with gray hair and tawny skin stepped forward. His green t-shirt and cargo pants hugged a muscular form. "No offense, Lord Arthur. It's business."

"I did not know mercenaries were in the habit of using rogues," Arthur said, his face showing annoyance rather than anger. "Who hired you?"

"I'm afraid I can't answer that," the mercenary said. He raised his sword, the curving scimitar reflected the sunlight.

Arthur growled. "Leave him alive," he said, speaking to us, before he charged forward.

He was fast. Faster than I ever saw him before. I knew he was moving and yet my eyes could not follow him.

By the time our enemy realized what was happening, Arthur had already knocked down one rogue and was disemboweling another with his claws.

Then all hell broke loose. Vampires swarmed the six of us in seconds.

Two vampires lunged at me, both armed with shorter blades. I had a longer reach advantage. I swung my sword in a diagonal cut that opened one's chest and deflected the other's attack. He turned with the blow and aimed a kick to my legs. I jumped up and kicked, my boot connected with his face with a crunch. He staggered back, giving way to more vampires. Rogues. The stink of unwashed bodies and old blood assaulted my nose. The rogues stunk.

I felt a burning sensation on my back. I kicked back as the pommel of my sword connected to a female's forehead. My foot connected and I heard a crunch.

But then someone swiped a damn mace so close to my face I felt the air shift. I dodged it, but the spikes scratched my cheek. I sensed a person in my back while fighting another two with my sword. I turned a full circle, swinging my sword. My back burned. I must be injured.

There were too many.

Charles was suddenly at my back.

"I can handle myself just fine!" I told him, even though his presence already lessened the load.

"They're targeting you, you idiot," he shot back.

A quick glance told me he was right. The mercenaries were divided into two groups. One was surrounding me, and the other surrounded Arthur.

Marianno, Noah and Irene were cutting through the mass of the mercs, to prevent them from reaching me.

"Arthur is on his own!" I cried, beheading a rogue who did not go down after I stabbed his stomach.