Chapter 46

Noah's plan to starve me of blood quickly went south.

Over the previous days, Marianno and I had come to the conclusion that I only needed a small amount of the disgusting red liquid to function, compared to vampires. The second day after Noah cut off my blood supply, however, I woke up on the wrong side of Arthur's bed.

I sat up and glared at the annoying bright lights coming in through the window.

"Why in the world did we not close the curtains?"

Arthur, already up and about, raised his brow from where he stood in the door of his closet. "Cheerful this morning, are we not?"

I flipped him off, pushed off the covers and rose. I already felt an itch in my throat. Knowing the reason for it only made me more irritated. I didn't like being dependent on anything, let alone blood.

"I just know today is going to be absolutely terrific," I mumbled.

"It's going to be as bad as you believe it will be," Arthur said. "Starting out the day with a negative mindset will certainly not help."

I glared at him. "You're being a little too reasonable for me, this morning. Just let me brood in peace."

He chuckled and came closer. He was already dressed in an immaculate suit. He looked good enough to eat.

"Why are you all dressed up?" I asked.

"Today will be judgement day for the people involved in the gate scheme," he said. My scowl deepened. I didn't want him to go there alone. Other than the obvious female attention he would be getting looking like that, he was still under threats from his enemies.

"Everything will be fine," he said, tugging on a lock of my hair. The blond strands were wild and untamed this morning. He rubbed the strands between his fingers with a fascinated expression.

"What's with you and hair?" I asked, pulling my hair away. He grabbed the lock again and looked at it with a small smile.

"Just your hair," he said. "Some time ago, cloth of gold was a trendy fabric for royalty and nobility. I used to love watching the process of weaving gold. Your hair reminds me of that. Spun gold."

I raised my brow, though I could feel heat crawling up my neck. "You're being very flattering this morning."

He grinned. "Just remember my sweet words when the urge to attack Charles hits you."

My mood was considerably better after Arthur's teasing. I had a big breakfast, but no matter how much water I drank, there was just an odd thirst that refused to be quenched.

It was still bearable. So when Noah announced we'd be taking a long run in the woods with Charles, my mood did not sink that much. Thankfully, Amanda tagged along.

Arthur's words did somehow prove to be prophetic, however.

After about twenty minutes of full on sprinting, my breathing turned heavy and my thirst intensified no matter how much water I chugged.

"You're slow," Charles said, falling into step beside me. He had been ahead of Amanda and I, right next to Noah.

I didn't glance at him. We were deep in the forest, way out of the perimeter of Arthur's house. The golden canopy of trees above us held every shade of autumn, and the wind was icy despite the bright sun shining through the branches.

"Charles, don't start again," Amanda said.

"What? I can't even speak to her, now?" he asked.

"You're spoiling for a fight," Amanda said, slowing her steps. "You better not start anything."