Chapter 58

Cannibalism as a way to increase one's power. I had never heard of it, nor had I even thought it possible. The fact that my cousin was eating people made me a little bit sick.

"It's not a proven method," Marianno continued. "However, there are recorded instances in our history where it supposedly worked. No one knows if it really does."

"It does not," Arthur said. "It's an old wives' tale. Many have tried it and failed to come up with any results. However, desperation makes people do idiotic things."

"Do people know about this?" I asked. "Why wasn't he punished? or stopped?"

Marianno smiled. "He's a member of the royal family."

Right. How dare I suggest that an esteemed member of the royal line be punished for cannibalism?

I tried my best to push the disgust aside and looked at Arthur. "So why did you tell me not to get my hopes up?"

"Because Ryan is desperate, and a cunning bastard. There is no way he's going to volunteer information out of the goodwill of his heart. He will most likely want to make some kind of deal."

"Then there's a possibility that he's just making things up to get what he wants," I said.

"He's not that stupid. He knows that if I caught him lying, I would make his death very slow and torturous," Arthur said, his voice sending a shiver down my spine. His magic stretched, a dragon coming to life. Irene held her breath next to me. Noah's eyes turned a glowing shade of amber.

Arthur was already in a bad mood after this morning's attack. Whoever got in his way today would be minced meat.

"Oooh. Very scary, your lordship," I said. His magic settled down. Much better.

"Incoming," Noah mumbled.

I turned my head slightly. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a rider heading straight for us. My father's magic brushed against my senses. I turned fully toward him, Arthur stepped up next to me.

My father had changed from his suit into all black riding clothes. I didn't know much about horses, but even I could see how beautiful his ride was. Its shining coat was a soft tan color, the legs, mane and muzzle were a darker brown, almost black. Its coloring reminded me of a siamese cat.

The horse's powerful muscles flexed under the silky coat. It danced in place as my father pulled it to a stop near us. My father dismounted.

"This is a fine horse," Arthur said. He stepped forward, slowly raised his hand and petted the horse's graceful neck.

"She is." My father smiled, scratching the mare's neck. The animal nickered, and lowered her head to Orion's jacket. He chuckled. "No carrots. Not right now."

The mare shook her head and straightened. Soulful dark eyes met mine, framed by thick sooty lashes. My magic stretched, fascinated by the beautiful animal. I shook my head.

"Do you ride, Elle?" my father asked.

"I do ride, just not horses."

As soon as I said it, I knew how that sounded. Arthur's end of the bond exploded with laughter, yet his face remained stoic. I shot him a glare.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Irene, slightly behind me, was having a coughing fit. Amused, wasn't she? My face heated up. Fortunately, my father was more mature than my friend and my mate.

"Cars," I said. "I ride cars, motorcycles. Not horses."

"You should learn, then," Orion said. "I was hoping to get you for a few hours. I want to show you around."