Stories

Week three, yay!
Today we're gonna learn how defend ourselves. I really like that they teach us something important and something you can always use.

"Do you have a partner?" Markus looks at me. I probably zoned out. "Uhm..." I look around, searching for somebody. "She is with Theo" Caleb yells from where he is. What? No, I'm not with him. "Okay good" Markus leaves. I go to Caleb.

"Why did you say that?"

"I did you a favour believe me. He's mad at you for some reason and I think it's the best if you guys work that out now."

"Oh okay..." I say a bit confused and go to Theo.

"We are partners" I approach him.

"Why?"

"Because we were told to" I just say and go to a spot around Markus. We were told to search a spot near Markus so we can still see what he's doing. He's the one who shows us the exercises.

He follows me and I sit down on the ground and wait for Markus to show us the first defense exercise.

"We gonna start easy. First decide which one of you wants to be the victim and who the criminal." Markus starts.

"You're the victim" Theo says without looking at me. "Thanks" I roll my eyes.

"Question for you all, what would you do if somebody's grabbing your neck?" Markus asks.
"If it's a girl then I don't have to worry" a boy says and laughs with his friends. "And if it's a boy?" Markus asks the boy. He doesn't respond. "See, now listen" Markus turns his attention to the rest again.

"The criminal puts his hand on the victims neck" Markus continues. Theo puts his hand around my neck. "The victim now puts their shoulder up and in the direction of their chin. The last step is to turn your upper body in the same direction and the criminal will automatically let go. Okay now in slow" he explains and shows us with April how to do it.

"Now it's your turn" they finish. I turn my attention to Theo and try to repeat the exercise. Okay shoulder up, to my chin and then turn to the same direction with my upper body. I first do it slow and then fast. On the second attempt it actually worked. Theo lets go of my neck and I'm free. "I did it" I smile. "Wasn't that hard" he replies slightly annoyed.

"Your turn" I ignore his annoyance. I put my hand around his neck. He chuckles.

"What?" I say confused. "This is ridiculous" he looks to the side. "Why?" He looks at me again. "Your hand is too small, I barely feel it" sure. "Of course" I roll my eyes. "You don't have to feel it, it's about the technique anyways." I say. He doesn't respond.

He lifts his shoulder up and turns his body to the side. My hand doesn't leave his neck. He looks at me confused. "You skipped one step" I try to hide a smile. "I was testing you" he tries to cover up his mistake. He does it again, now with all the steps, my hand actually leaves his neck.

I put my hand up to give him high five but he ignores me. Wow.

~

We're doing defense exercises since half an hour now. I think we have like one more exercise left.

"Okay victim on the floor." Markus begins the next exercise. "You're the victim" I say to Theo. Last time I was the victim so he's now the victim again.

He lays down on the floor and props himself up with his elbows.

"The criminal goes on top of the victim, straddling them." Oh please. I go to Theo and sit down on him. This position feels so weird.

"Put your legs really close to the victims so they can't move their legs properly. Then you pin their hands over their heads." This is getting better and better. I do what Markus said.