20 ✘ you know you've missed me

EVERY ACTION HAS an equal opposite reaction

Being rushed into the assembly room located at the east end of the school isn't a usual thing for us Sterling kids. Swarms of students wearing Sterling Academy uniforms with the familiar school crest all fill the assembly room.

I watch as Principal Leighton paces back and forth across the stage, a stern look washing over his usual coldly serene features.

I catch Nadia when I take a seat a couple of rows above her. She's wiping tiredness from her eyes, mid-yawn. When I catch her wandering gaze, she reflects the confusion I feel.

"Tell her to ask Con what's up," Bailey whispers to me.

My eyes stray from Nadia's to Con who's sitting right next to her. 'Ask Con what's up!' I mouth. Nadia's eyebrows dip as she shakes her head, signifying that she doesn't know what I'm saying. 'Ask Con!' I repeat again and as if realising Con's been sitting with her this entire time Nadia looks to her right, tapping on Constance's shoulder as she redirects her gaze to ours.

The second Con's light eyes meet mine they soften and she waves. I wave back, before gesturing for Nadia to ask her what's going on. An assortment of attempted lip reading later, Con meets my gaze again before sheepishly shrugging.

'Sorry Vals,' She apologises and I wave her off, not blaming her for not knowing. I mean if it's something this big I can only assume Principal Leighton would keep it to himself.

"I can't believe I'm missing out on art for this." Bailey groans beside me and I nod understanding her frustration.

When we do have assemblies at Sterling it's either always proposing new ways to grab money from the parents of the student body, or are announcing something new the school has incorporated due to said money—grabbing money.

"Maybe it's different today." I shrug.

"Doubt it, no offence to Con or anything but Principal Leighton always sends me to sleep."

"Bailey!" I scorn.

She raises her hands in defence. "What? It's true he's like a zombie and not in a hot way."

"Not funny."

"Who said I was joking?" I roll my eyes and she smiles, nothing Bailey does or says ever comes from a place of malice.

"He is a little boring though," I admit, not facing her as I look towards the stage. I hear her laugh next to me but she settles down as the rest of the students do as well.

"It is in my deepest regret that I am to inform all of you, that previous Sterling student, Clairemont Culver has escaped the psychiatric ward her parents have placed her in and has taken her own life."

Instant chatter surges through the audience, and I feel a cold chill run up my spine at the news. I look over my shoulder in an attempt to gauge reactions. I scope out Nayelie's train of gaze in movement, our eyes lock and a mutual understanding passes. The boys have to pay for this.