49 ✘ a black hole in the kitchen

PART 5: DESTRUCTION

PART 5: DESTRUCTION.

I COULD NEVER hate Valé, she's my best friend. I'm just holding a silly grudge over nothing, and I feel shit because I know she knows how I feel about her, but it won't go away.

It's constantly nagging at me guilt-like. Today at school I'd avoided her in the hallway, yesterday after the assembly I'd run off after a quick conversation.

My thoughts cut off as I slide the door cringing in anticipation for it to make a loud sound even though it won't. I know I probably wouldn't feel as anxious if I were to just use the front entrance instead of the back, but I just can't.

I can't repeat the scene of Mom's face changing when she saw me after the article's exposure.

"Astaghfirullah." She'd repeated constantly out of shock and anger when her eyes glazed over the writing. "Nadia, do you see what using your phone does to you?" I turned around to roll my eyes, I could literally get mono and Mamman would blame my phone for it.

I stop in my tracks, the marble floor cool against my feet as I hold onto my school shoes as I hear hushed whispers come from the kitchen. I know I shouldn't eavesdrop, but I just can't help myself. Silently, I tip-toe to where the commotion is coming from, peering in from a slit in the large doorway to assess.

I see Mom and Mr Cathans. My heart drops to my feet at the sight. Has Luca told them? I mean, I know I deserve it, but I'm not ready to deal with the repercussions just yet. If I'm being honest I don't think I ever will be, I just hope when everything comes crashing down it's quick.

Mom and Mr Cathans's are seated at the kitchen counter as they face each other. In this light stripped away from reality, I can just imagine this is a scene from years ago when dad and Maria were still alive and probably in the backyard. Maria would be plating her scones outside and dad would be sneaking some of them off the plate for Luca.

I snap out of the daze. Nothing will ever be like that again and it's not because of death, but because of betrayal. I once said betrayal is forever, I wish I hadn't taken my chances.

"Shh, it's okay Thomas," Mom consoles as I watch from behind one of the large doors that separates the kitchen from the rest of the rooms.

It's always been the most closed-off area unless you count the dining room attached and the large transparent wall that you can see the majority of the backyard through. I used to be scared to come into the kitchen at night so Dad installed remote-controlled blinds.

They seem to be up now though.

"Mariam, my son hates me and Annabeth is freaking out because she can't go to her dance recitals without getting questioned. She's playing the black swan!" The last part isn't said with mock necessarily, but rather in imitation of Annabeth's distress.

"No, Luca loves you." Mom ignores the Annabeth part. Smart woman.

"Then why won't he talk to me? Why is he doing this!" The instant regret of raising his voice comes with its aftermath as Mom shoots him a glare that makes Mr Cathans quiets down instantly. The anger thing is hereditary.