32 ✘ tell me i've got it wrong

"I REALLY DO like Sage, I'm only doing this because my Mom really needs the money, alright? Please don't tell him, it'll break him and —"

"I'm going to put you out of your misery Gigi, Sage is not who you think he is, alright? He's a bad guy, ruins girls, their reputations, everything."

Gigi eyes me as if I've just spoiled the fact I've swapped out her Hermes for Waterfront.

"He smiles?" I mock, "Honey, so does the devil."

"B—but Sage, how? He wouldn't. You've got to believe me, he's not like that. My Sage."

My Sage? Agitation finds its way out of me. The rage is comforting, notifying me of my true intentions with this whole scheme. Yet, there is disappointment too.

Her Sage? When did he have time to ever be hers?

"I don't care about your Sage. I could give two shits!"

"Why are you upset?"

"I'm not," I lie.

"You definitely are, your neck is going red."

"Is he giving it to you, good Gigi? Is that why you're defending him? You want to have your fun with the young rich? Are you having an unimaginable time with Sage? Does he fuck you in his pool house?" She's stunted silent. "This is our lives, you don't belong in this world." She looks as if I've just struck her. "Be thankful, it's not a dig."

"He hurts people?" She asks, in that timid naive voice of hers.

I could see how he'd enjoy her, sweet Sage and gorgeous Gigi living it up, sneaking glances, longing looks. What exactly have they done? I snicker at the passing thought and bury the lump in my throat.

"A girl last month committed suicide."

Her face morphs into one of hurt and shock. Yet, it isn't satisfaction that floors me at her realisation but shock. How could she ever have thought that a boy like Sage was untouched by the ugly that comes within people? How could I?

"Now," I swallow, "I'm going to start this timer again, and you're going to start speaking. Okay?" She nods, and I grin. "Good girl."

In her eyes hatred swims, directed at Sage? I'm sure it's not, but I'm glad she dislikes me. We could never have been friends anyways.

Looking down at my phone I make sure to not end the voice memo app as I swipe out of it and restart the timer.

My fingers shake in anticipation once I pull my touch away from the start button. What are you hiding Sage Evanders? For a grand a minute it better be good.

"Well.." Gigi's shoulders rise up high to her ears, for a second I think it'll stay there but she surprises me when she rolls them out with a practiced breath. Her button nose twitches and then finally her pouty lips part. "Sage and...I," she begins.