50 ✘ mess it up

o children | nick cave & the bad seeds❝ forgive us now for what we've doneit started out as a bit of fun ❞

❝ forgive us now for what we've done
it started out as a bit of fun ❞

"FOLLOW MY LEAD, ladies," the receptionist comes out of the booth as she walks in front of us guiding the girls and I to his office. Well, I think it is. I wouldn't even know if it wasn't since my eyes have been trained on that blonde man ever since his exit.

I'm so sure I recognise him from somewhere, I just can't quite place exactly where from though.

The shuffling of feet, flickering on of lights and slight cool breeze as the large door opens is enough to have me once again aware of my surroundings as I snap out of my daze and swiftly follow the girls as they enter the room.

Dad hasn't left his office since the soirée, he's been trying to not get sued and blacklisted since it's 'apparently' his firm that had the leak of information regarding Mayor McAllister.

It's because of that mom believes Atlas and I haven't been talking — not because of the guarded truth. No one has suspected me yet, but right now that's the last thing on my mind, and stupidly so.

Ajay is mad at me, Eva is trying her best not to be, Atlas hasn't shown up at school — quite frankly none of the boys have other than Delvaùx who shot me a cold look when he walked past me the other day.

I shudder at the memory. I'd gone rigid under his gaze, Caleb's warmth only extends so far. I like to think I was swarming in a warm spot — he didn't hate me so I wasn't doused in fire and set to flame, but I was nowhere near where Valé was either.

I should have just counted my blessings.

"So girls." My attention draws back to the man of the hour, and at the thought of time my eyes flicker to the large grandfather clock in the corner of the room that ticks.

"Ladies." Amber corrects, and from off the bat she's started to make Principal Leighton shift uneasily as he takes a seat in his pompous chair that reeks of power, prevalence and everything else we had desired to rip away.

"Ladies," he plays off, cooly. "I'm sure you know why you're here, and all I ask is an explanation."

There are four seats in a semi-circular type arch facing the main desk. Amber takes the middle and I expect Valé to do so as well but Nadia slips in. Valé takes the seat on the opposite side as I do.

I slither in next to Amber. "An explanation for what?" I ask, letting my hands fall away from the seat handles just in case I give anything away by gripping on too hard.

I'm not completely sure what is going to be asked or provided from us, so it's not like I could practice in that regard. But what I do know is that I can control my body language and manipulate it.

"Let's not play any games and waste time here. You know what I'm talking about."

I turn to face Amber waiting for her to respond, but it's as my eyes dance onto the other girls I get the real shock taking in the large scar that slices Valé's usual frighteningly unblemished skin.