52 ✘ the last of me

fourth of july | sufjan stevens ❝ and i'm sorry i left, but it was for the bestthough it never felt right, my little versailles ❞

❝ and i'm sorry i left, but it was for the best
though it never felt right, my little versailles ❞

FOUR YEARS AGO

THERE ARE DAYS I feel better than most. I feel like I can take it.

But then I'm in scorching pain - dying is the right word but he's made me not say it. He doesn't want me admitting the truth to myself because he's scared to admit it. What a bore!

"I've got the order of people to come in, Ms Cathan's. Would you like to begin the process of saying goodbye now?"

"Send them in Jeremy!" Dr Jeremy blushes a little; probably in confusion at my lack of shame but he follows and starts upon request. He's been a good thing to have these past couple weeks as a detour from everyone else that doesn't want to accept the truth.

First come in the kids, all those little devils that I'll miss!

I love kids. I wish I could've had more, but the risks were always too high. That's why I became a teacher aide at the preschool an hour away when I had to stop archaeology because of the physical demand.

"Ms Maria!"

I prop myself higher on the hospital bed, but it's like my body won't budge. I swallow down my hurt, and a beat of a second passes before I'm plastering the biggest smile on my face for them. "You little bugs I've missed you!"

"I lost a tooth!"

"You missed my birthday!"

"I can say my r's!"

So much joy.

"I got a new family!"

My eyes travel to little Asteria Rome's voice. "I saw!" I tell the dark haired, dark eyed girl who's featured are so similar to her older brother who I taught a couple years back. Her adoption had been the number one thing I didn't want to miss.

"I tried to find you, but -" she frowns, crossing his arms over her body as she gets cut off by the loud commotion of everyone and their over pouring love. I wink at her, to signal I haven't forgotten, and she smiles.

Standing behind him is Ms. Walters, the principal. She looks at me with a trained smile, her eyes not giving anything away and for once I'm glad of her being stoic. I'm glad that today starts off with no tears.

The half hour goes quick with all the kids giving me their get-well cards, telling me things they've accomplished and finally making me read to them a story for the last time.

"All right everyone, the bus is going to come in fifteen minutes and it's a ten-minute walk to the bus stop. Say your goodbyes now." Ms Walters wraps up, as I close the final page of the picture book. I usually talk for hours on end, but around the third page I felt my throat drying up and not because I needed water, but because I needed a break.