44 ✘ exile

exile | taylor swift❝ you were my town,now i'm in exile, seein' you out ❞

❝ you were my town,
now i'm in exile, seein' you out ❞

"OH YOU KNOW Nadia!" Luca introduces for the thousandth time, to some old looking prehistoric man who eyes me like I'm his next meal, despite the complete chasm between us.

"I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting her yet though," he smiles, taking my hand and pressing a sloppy kiss to it — almost a sloppy kiss, I don't get to find out because Luca takes my hand just before it meets the older man's lips.

"She's a germaphobe," he dismisses quickly, his smile wavering. "But Mr Del Freo you must be in acquaintance of such finery like her, she's going to be big deal in the future, I mean..." his eyes fall onto me, and I have to bite the inside of my lip to stop myself from sobbing or smiling — I've lost touch with reality. "Look at her." I blush at the comment.

"I think all you kids will be a big deal." Mr Del Freo starts.

Luca turns to him, "Then she will be the finest."

"Oh, well with support like this from such a fine man himself Nadia, I'm excited to see what you become."

I nod in his direction, pleased with the compliment. "I hope you live to see it," I don't realise what I've said comes across like until a troubled expression takes up the man's features, his older wrinkled face drawing in. "As in, if I do ever become successful I'd like you to be there." I attempt to clear up, but it's only making the situation worse.

From the corner of my eye, I notice Luca hiding his smile behind the drink in his glass.

I step on his foot, seeing the reaction dissipate as I converse for help. "Excuse her, she's not out alot. Communication isn't her strong suit, if you get what I mean."

"Ah," Mr Del Freo nods, "You should keep an eye on that girl then," that girl? "She seems to need a man like you to talk for her. You know, women."

"Listen you—" I begin but Luca brings his arm around my waist, grabbing me slightly with a knowing look, I sigh out frustratedly but go along shutting my mouth. I'm going to kill him for this.

"That's not very progressive to say," he shakes his head at Mr Del Freo with a look of warning.

"I'm not a man of this time."

"You don't have to point the obvious out Mr Del Freo, we use our eyes." With that and a departing glance of disgust Luca follows me to the drinks table. "I'm going to say hi to Atlas, I'll be right back? Or do you want to come?"