CHAPTER 6

It's been a few days since my breakdown, and I haven't seen Nathaniel since. I'm grateful because I end up crying every time we see each other. But I also miss him. The mate bond isn't helping because while I'm trying to avoid him, the bond makes me want to be with him.

I'm in the kitchen making breakfast when Ana walks in.

"Good morning, Luna," she says, taking a seat on one of the kitchen stools.

"I'm not your Luna. But good morning to you too," I say with a soft smile. I'm happy she's here after the way Nate kicked her out. I was worried she wouldn't want to spend time with me anymore.

"How are you feeling today?" Ana asks while I serve her a plate of scrambled eggs. If she's here during breakfast time, that means she hasn't eaten.

"I'm doing okay; why do you ask?"

"Thank you, and the Beta's house isn't too far away from here. I could hear you crying last night," Ana says, with pity in her eyes while she eats her breakfast.

"Oh, I'm fine, you don't have to look at me like that," I say, walking back to the stove to make eggs for myself.

"How am I looking at you? And I'm happy you feel better today."

"You're looking at me with a lot of pity in your eyes."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it."

"It's fine. Why don't we talk about something else."

"Do you have any plans for today?"

"No, I don't."

"Great, do you want to come with me to the mall? I want to buy an anniversary gift for Dan."

"I'd love to! I didn't know you guys are married" A lot of werewolves don't get married, but some do. It's not a necessary thing because once a werewolf bears a mark on their neck, it's like a human wearing a wedding ring—everyone knows you're taken.

"No, we're not. It's our mate anniversary."

"Mate anniversary? I've never heard of that before."

"It's something we made up ourselves. Our mate anniversary is the day we met and completed the bond. Since completing the bond is like getting married, we decided to celebrate it every year," she says, smiling while looking lost in her thoughts. I'm sure she's remembering the day she met Dan, and from her smile, I can tell it was a happy day.

I wish I could have that. But the day I met my mate I almost died. Then, when I woke up, he barely spoke to me.

"That's so lovely," I say, smiling,

"Yeah," she says, still lost in her thoughts.

Later in the day, Ana and I head to the mall in the city. We're in a wristwatch shop, trying to find the best one for Dan. I don't know much about wristwatches, nor does Ana, so you can imagine how things are going.

"How about this one," I say, pointing to a silver wristwatch. It's a steel strap watch.

"I don't like it."

"What's his favorite color?" I ask, so we can narrow the search.

"Blue."

"He'll like this one then," I show her a three-hand, blue silicone watch.

"Nah," Ana says, refusing my suggestion again.

"I give up," I say, throwing my hands in the air. This is the fifth one I've shown her since we entered the Armani shop. They have the best wristwatches I've seen so far.