17.

SMUT WARNING

After getting settled into the hotel, Rafe suggests going for a walk around town before we go to a restaurant to eat.

We stroll down the busy street, not talking, just taking in the different environment. I love going to different places, even though charleston isn't that far away, I haven't been here in years.

"Are you going to midsummers?" Rafe asks.

"I've never been" I say.

"Well it's not really a pogue thing, but John B and the rest have went before because of Sarah." He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, I never had anyone to go with so I didn't bother. I don't even own anything to wear to something like that." I say.

"Would you have went if somebody asked you to?" He asks.

"Maybe." I shrug. "I thought Caleb was going to ask me one year but apparently that was just a prank."

Rafe chuckles, he must know or was in on the prank.

"You could have went without a date, I always did." He says.

"Seriously?" I ask, raising my eyebrow.

"Yeah, couldn't pick just one girl." He says and I roll my eyes.

I stay quiet and look into each store as we pass by.

"We can go in some stores later." He says and I nod.

We walk around for another hour or so before we go into a restaurant that Rafe claims is the best in town.

"This place is fancy." I say when we walk in. "I'm too underdressed."

"You look fine." He says when we sit at our table.

"Rafe, like everybody is staring at me." I say awkwardly looking around the place.

"I thought you didn't care what people thought about you." He says.

I shrug and look down at the table.

"You look good Cassie, I promise." He says and I grin.

"Thank you."

***

After spending almost two hours at the restaurant we decide to go visit some of the stores we passed along the way.

"You should get this." Rafe says taking a shirt off the rack.

"Rafe I don't have the money to just buy things like that. I haven't bought new clothes in years." I laugh.

Kie and I usually share our clothes, we don't bother to buy anything new, we try to save our money from doing little jobs for people around town for food and paying our bills.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah I'm not a rich kid like you." I say.

"I know that but how do you not buy clothes?"

"Because I don't have the extra money." I say. It's so funny talking to people who bathe in money in this town, they are so clueless.

"I'll buy some new clothes for you." He says.

"Rafe you don't have to do that." I shake my head.

"I am." He says. "Pick out something."

I roll my eyes and browse around the store. I smirk when I see a top that hardly covers the chest area. I reach my hand toward it but before I touch it Rafe says no.