45.

"Can we go downstairs? I would like to tell them that we are staying." I say.

"Okay." He nods.

I swing open the door and he follows me downstairs. I'm afraid that when I tell my parents that we are staying for the night, that they will think everything is okay and I will want to stay forever. I will never live here with them, but I am willing to give them a chance.

"Mom!" I yell when I get to the bottom of the stairs.

"In the kitchen!" She responds.

I look at Rafe before entering the kitchen. Dad is sitting at the table and mom is making something over the stove.

"Can we talk for a minute?" I ask.

"Sure thing. Just give me a moment to finish this up."

Rafe and I sit across from where my dad is sitting. Rafe avoids eye contact with him and dad does the same.

"Okay, what's up?" Mom asks, sitting down beside dad.

"We decided that we will stay here tonight and drive back to Outer Banks tomorrow. Rafe doesn't want to drive home in the dark with me." I say.

"That's nice of you, thank you." Mom says to Rafe with a slight smile and he nods.

"I just want you to know that this doesn't mean I am completely fine with what happened. I'm still angry and upset, but I am willing to keep in contact with you when I'm back home." I say.

Mom and dad look at each other with the same look on their face.

"That's okay with us. We are happy that you are willing to give this another try." Dad says.

"Okay. But no more of this crazy psycho shit. You're lucky Rafe didn't murder Mike when he first showed up to my house and tried to take me." I say.

Dad looks at Rafe with a blank face. I probably shouldn't have said that but it is true.

"We promise, no more of that." Mom says.

"Okay." I say. "That's all I wanted to say."

"Alright. Thank you." Dad nods and I grin.

"I'm making dinner, are you guys hungry?" Mom asks.

"Yeah." I nod.

***

After we eat we sit around the living room and try to act like a normal family but it's super awkward.

"How is your family doing Rafe?" Mom asks.

"Good." He responds.

"Nice to hear." Dad says and Rafe nods.

I look around at everyone and it's easy to see that everybody is having a hard time with this situation. I hate to say it, but I think Rafe being here is preventing mom and dad to say a lot of things, which is good for me at least.

"Maybe we should head upstairs. It's been a long day for us." I say. I know how much Rafe is hating this.

"Sure, um before you go though, maybe we can have a little chat?" Mom says.

"Sure, Rafe you can go on upstairs." I say and he leaves without saying a word. I can't get angry at him for it because what he's feeling toward my parents is valid.

"Charlie, I'd like to talk to Cassie alone." Mom says and he nods.

"Sure thing honey. I'll clear the dishes."

"Thank you." She smiles and watches him walk away. The psycho behaviour aside, I know that my parents are good people. They both love each other so much and that's all I want for my future.