44.

Authors note!!! Incredibly sorry for the long wait for this chapter. Over the holidays I spent time with my family because it was our first Christmas without an important family member. I feel well refreshed after this long break and I am so excited to continue with this story! Thank you all for the continuous support and I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

***

"What's going on?" Dad asks as he enters the living room.

My face is still pressed against moms chest. My crying has died down a little, I almost feel too embarrassed to show my face.

"Cassie, your father and I never left because we didn't want you. Leaving you was the hardest thing we've ever done and we regret it so much. You were strong and independent, you didn't want us interfering in your life with your friends. We understood how important they were to you and we knew you weren't going to give them up. Honey I saw that you lived a much happier life with them rather than us. We just wanted to give you what you wanted."

"But you didn't have to leave me. I was sixteen, I had no idea where you guys went."

"It was a horrible decision Cassie, we think about it everyday. We should have stayed, we should have supported your lifestyle more."

"I don't understand, dad you were a pogue. You have to know how it feels to have somebody look down on you because of who you are."

"I do understand. And that's why I didn't want you to grow up like I did. Living my life as a pogue only got me into trouble and the pressure of being a "normal" person was really hard on me."

"I don't care what others think. I'm responsible and never get into trouble, I never did."

"We know. We were always just afraid of what the future was going to hold for you."

"Leaving didn't make sense then, if you were afraid of my future you would have stayed with me, not left me alone to face it myself."

"I know honey, like I said, leaving you was the worst thing we could have done." Mom says but I remain silent.

I don't want to argue anymore and I don't want to hear the same story over and over. What's done is done and nothing can change it.

"If it's alright with you, I would like to take a nap." I say.

"Sure thing, upstairs and the first door on the left is your room." Mom says.

I remove myself from the living room and climb up the winding stairs. I walk into the room mom explained to me and shut the door behind me. I look around at the decor, definitely not my style but it is nice. I move to the dresser and scan the photos of me, mom and dad in the gold metal frames.

Before I let anymore emotions take over, I pull the bed sheets down and sink down onto the bed. I cover myself up to my neck and close my eyes.

***

I wake up to loud voices from downstairs. I immediately jump out of the bed and rush down the stairs.

"Where is she?" I hear Rafe say.

"She's sleeping upstairs." Mom says.

Everything is silent for a few seconds, then Rafe's body appears from around the corner. His face is filled with anger, until he sees me. He stops in his tracks for a second, processing that it is me he's really looking at.

"Rafe." I smile.

He starts walking forward slowly but I start running. He opens his arms and I jump and wrap my legs around his torso.