43.

*** CASSIE'S POV ***

The bright light wakes me up. It takes me a few seconds to realize I'm still laying in the vehicle. But why? Why am I laying in the back of a random van?

The van is stopped outside a strange neighbourhood. It's definitely a rich neighbourhood but it's not Outer Banks.

I feel my pockets for my phone to see what the hell is going on.

Rafe: Cassie, where are you?

Rafe: Did you go home? Please call me

Rafe: Should I call the cops? Like what is happening. I've looked everywhere for you

Rafe; I just went to your place and Kie said you haven't showed up there. Where are you?

I try to think hard about last night but I can't remember everything. I remember Rafe leaving me alone for a few minutes but that's it.

I text Rafe back to let him know I'm okay, for now anyway.

Me: Rafe I'm okay. I don't know where I am though. I'm in the back of a van parked outside of a house that I don't recognize.

I expected an immediate answer but two minutes have gone by and he haven't responded. While I have the chance, I decide to call him instead of waiting for a text back.

The first ring doesn't even finish before the line is picked up.

"Cassie?"

"Rafe."

"Where are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. I don't know where I am. I'm in the back of a van in some rich looking neighbourhood. I don't think I'm close to Outer Banks at all." I say.

"Are you scared?"

"Not really. I can just get out of the van and leave, nobody is around."

"Well fuck do it then." He exclaims.

"Alright alright." I say.

I sit up and crawl to the side of the van with the door.

"Let me know when you're out. Try to find a sign or something."

"Yeah." I say.

I grip onto the door handle and slide the door open. I quickly jump down and shut the door again.

"I'm out." I say.

"There she is!" I hear somebody say from behind me. I turn around, ignoring what Rafe is saying because I know that voice is familiar.

I turn around to see my mother walking toward me, Mike and my dad standing on the doorstep.

"What the fuck." I whisper.

"What is it? Cassie?" Rafe says.

"Rafe I'm fine. I know where I am. I'll call you back." I say and hang up the phone.

"Cassie! My girl." Mom says once she's about a foot away from me. She opens her arms to pull me into a hug, but the first instinct tells me to slap her across the face instead.

"Cassie!" My father shouts. Mom presses her palm against the side of her red face.

"Don't Cassie me." I say. "What the fuck is going on!"

"What do you mean?"

"What do I mean? Last night I was at a party and now I'm standing here with you guys."

"We thought it would be nice for you to visit."

"Oh my god, you two are insane!"

"Cassie lower your voice."