29.

"My goodness Cassie, you look stunning." Rose says when Rafe and I come down the stairs.

"Thank you." I smile.

"Sarah! Hurry up we're going to be late." Ward shouts up the stairs.

"You look very pretty Wheezie." I say.

"Thank you, you too." She smiles.

We all stand around and wait for Sarah to come downstairs.

My nerves are starting to kick in for tonight. I haven't been to an event with this many kooks before and I can't say I'm very excited about that.

Sarah finally comes downstairs and we all drive to the golf course.

"Is everyone ready?" Rose says when we all get out of the vehicle. "Need any last touch ups before we head out?"

"No Rose." Sarah says.

"How about you Cassie?"

"I'm good." I smile.

Touch up? She's lucky I put this makeup on once today.

"Okay everyone, remember to smile." Rose says as we all start to walk in the back door. I follow behind everyone, completely confused as to what's happening.

"Rafe, why is Rose making such a big deal about how we look?" I whisper.

"Because we all walk out together, everyone is already here. It's stupid." He says.

"You mean like a grand entrance?"

"I guess." He shrugs.

My eyes widen and regret starts to fill my body. Am I stupid? Me, a pogue, is going to make the grand entrance with the richest family in Outer Banks? My parents would be proud...

"Don't forget to smile Cassie. It's only for a second and the attention will be gone." Rose says and I nod.

Ward gets ready to open the door and I put on the best smile I can. I look to Rafe and he has his normal grumpy face on but I wasn't expecting much different.

People start clapping as we walk out on the deck, some stopping when they see me standing next to Rafe. I look around to see people whispering already. From further down the grass I can hear JJ and the rest laughing at me.

Rafe grabs my hand and pulls me off the deck and away from the larger crowd of people.

"Sorry, I should have told you about that part." He says.

"It's okay." I shrug. "It just gave the extra attention I didn't want in the first place."

"Nobody is even looking now." Rafe says and I look around.

It's true, nobody is looking at me. I was expecting to be the spotlight tonight, not to sound full of myself, but it's true. Kooks are very dedicated to making pogues life a living hell.

"Well hello sexy." JJ says from behind me. I turn around and give him a smile.

"Hey guys." I smile.

"I've never felt more like a kook in my life." Pope says.

I chuckle. It's true, we are all dressed to kill and it feels kinda nice. I like feeling pretty sometimes. I know I wouldn't be able to dress fancy every single day, having to style my hair and paint my finger nails and wear a fake face everyday is not something I'd ever wish for.

***

The evening soon turns into a dark, tipsy night. Sarah snuck alcohol in her purse so we all went on the empty balcony earlier to sneak a few sips in.