40.

Little authors note- I've noticed that some of you are pressed over the last chapter and the way Cassie reacted about Susie😂 I just want to clarify that I made her react that way because attempting to kill somebody is not an everyday experience for some people and it's normal to react that way... or at least I think? Idk I've never tried to kill anyone but that's the way I think I would react at least!

****

Rafe and I drive around his block, trying to find a way to see Susie without actually going to her house.

"One second." He says and pulls the rover over to the side of the road.

He stops in front of an outside market, the busiest place on a Sunday. I lean my head on the window and watch the women put items into their baskets. They are kooks obviously, dressed like they are about to meet the queen.

I lift my head and focus when I see one of the ladies point their finger at me, talking to another woman. Her finger leaves my direction and points to her neck instead.

"Rafe." I whisper. I hold eye contact with the girl, more people are now getting involved in the conversation.

"Please drive Rafe." I say a little louder.

He looks over at me with his phone attached to his ear, I didn't even realize he was on the phone.

"I'll call you back." He says and chucks his phone down. "What's wrong?"

"Those girls. They know."

"What?"

"They are talking about me and pointing to their necks. They know what I did. Susie must have told her parents and of course they are going to tell all of their stupid kook friends."

He starts the rover again and drives past all the markets. He stops again when nobody is in sight.

"I have to call Kelce back, just give me a second." He says and dials the number.

I nod and listen to what Rafe is saying this time.

"I don't know why, she just does." He says.

"Kelce just fucking do it okay? I'll be there in a bit."

Rafe hangs up the phone and places it back in the cup holder.

"Kelce is meeting up with Susie soon. They are going to the beach." Rafe says.

"Okay." I say. My heart starts beating at a faster pace. She's going to freak when she sees me.

***

Rafe and I pull up to the parking lot of the beach and I take a deep breath.

"Are you sure you want to see her? You know she's okay." Rafe says.

I bite down on my lip and think. Maybe I did overreact a little bit but this is not my personality. I'm obviously going to react that way.

"Let's just stay up here for a little bit. We don't have to go on the beach." I reply and he nods.

I lay my head back on the head rest and sigh. The pain in my head is starting to come back, or I'm just now relaxed enough to feel it.

Rafe's hand grips my thigh and I smile a little. I'm glad that he understands me and doesn't think I'm stupid for feeling this way.

"Is that them?" I say after a few minutes of silence.

"Yeah." Rafe says.

Susie and Kelce are walking hand in hand, she's smiling which is a good thing I guess. As she gets closer I can see that her neck is red and looks bruised.