Chapter 2 - A glimpse of you

Chapter Notes:

This chapter explores the duality of Xiao Tian's and Bai Feng's lives. We'll finally get a glimpse of their occupation and daily interactions. It's also our main characters' FIRST encounter!

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"Good morning! Did you have a good night's rest young master?" greeted one of his trusted attendants on a sunny morning. Bai Feng gave a short nod as they both walked through the hallways of the beautiful mansion.

"Mei, I'll come back late tonight. So there will be no need to wait for me."

"Are you leaving without breakfast young master?" a pleasantry Xiao Mei always offered, even though she knew what his response would be.

"I'm not particularly hungry. But you, on the other hand, shouldn't hold yourself back. Treat yourself to what's in the pantry."

"I'll leave the house to you then" the golden-eyed man bid his goodbyes before proceeding to walk out the gates.

With that, the servants quickly bowed to send him off.

"Alright, time to get to work! Let's keep the manor in pristine condition at all times. Make sure everything is in order before he arrives home." With that, everyone left to attend to their respective tasks.

Roaming around the streets, the cedar-haired beauty could hear merchants and customers haggling prices, children running around with their kites. The town is lively as usual.

After getting his fill of delicious breakfast food, the golden-eyed man headed into a small inn to meet one of his first clients for the day.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

As the sun sets into the horizon, a young man dressed in all black fixed his mask and leaped from building to building. After seemingly spotting his prey, he sat down and focused his gaze on a particular man.

"Oh? Found you~"

Xiao Tian then proceeded to map a layout of his surroundings, paying attention to any weakness in the manor's security. Not wanting to waste any more time, the assassin quickly jumped off the rooftop and infiltrated the manor.

Xiao Tian silently dealt with the guards, landing sharp blows on their heads, and knocking them unconscious.

Not long after, he came across a dimly lit room. Peering through a small gap, the onyx-haired man saw his target staring at a bookshelf, seemingly lost in thought. The assassin then slowly slid the door open and crept silently behind the man.

In a split second, his prey's neck was slit open.

Xiao Tian watched as his target dropped to the floor, eyes widened and blood spewed out their jugular vein in a continuous stream.

"20.. 19.. 18.."  the dark-haired assassin counted down in his mind as he cleaned his dagger.

When Xiao Tian reached zero, his target was already gone. And just like that, his mission was over. The jade-eyed assassin then quickly returned to the headquarters to report his kill for the night.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"Mission success?" asked a tan-skinned man in a dimly lit room.