Chapter 17 - Storm

Chapter Notes:

Recap: "Are you out of your mind? First, you're protecting a target, AND now you're working together with HIM? What if anyone in the organization saw you? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" the grey-eyed assassin hissed at his junior's lack of judgment.

Now forced into a team of three, how would Zi Shi, Xiao Tian, and Bai Feng work together?

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"I didn't know there was a gathering down here, mind if I join?" asked the man in a ponytail.

"Who are you?!" the group immediately focused on Bai Feng, looking at him in suspicion.

This distraction effectively created an opportunity for the two assassins to ambush the crew.

HeiLi quickly pounced on an unsuspecting crew mate while Zi Shi stealthily lashed them with his poison-laced whip; the informant also joined the fight amidst the chaos. Soon all seven people were down and the team quickly ransacked the cargo in search of the relics.

The trio couldn't find the artifact that the boss ordered them to retrieve, but in the sleeve of the fraudulent trader, Zi Shi found a similar-looking pendant.

"...It's a well-made replica.." the informant glanced at Xiao Tian before observing the pendant closely.

"We're done here. I'll carry him, go get the patrol guards" Zi Shi nodded at his onyx-haired companion.

HeiLi proceeded to incapacitate the patrolling crew mates as the team quickly traversed their way back to the upper deck. Fortunately, due to the rain, the upper deck was not as crowded as it should be. Though Zi Shi can't help but wonder how they are supposed to get back to land now that they're quite far away from shore.

"Hey, you said you had a plan on how to get us out of here, time to spill.." Zi Shi is looking unimpressed.

Bai Feng then pulled out his sword, placed it on the ground, and told the purple-haired beauty to stand on it. The gray-eyed assassin looked at the informant as if he had grown a second head, but the golden-eyed beauty sighed and pulled Zi Shi to step on the now-enlarged blade.

"I'll go get HuiMu back and then the target. I'll come for you last, is that okay?" Bai Feng asked as he fixed his mask in place.

Xiao Tian just nodded as he sat on the flooring with the target slumped slightly against his body. Bai Feng then pulled out a talisman but Xiao Tian stopped him. Instead, the assassin stabbed his dagger into the wooden plank and imbued it with his qi.

"You need your energy" the assassin's blade soon glowed bright jade green. Zi Shi eyed the pair as he wondered what they were doing.

"You.. Hold on to me" Bai Feng instructed the purple-haired assassin.

"Why would I?! Don't touch me—"

"Should I let you drop into the water then?" Bai Feng replied coldly before letting the extended blade ascend in the air.

HeiLi what do you see in this cold-hearted psycho?! Thought the gray-eyed assassin as he clung to the informant for dear life.

"H-Hurry get me back to land.." complained the gray-eyed assassin, causing the cedar-haired man to sigh.

"Lan She, report immediately to the boss after securing the target." the short-haired assassin commanded, and Zi Shi nodded.

Bai Feng then met Xiao Tian's gaze one last time before departing.