Chapter 23 - Vengeance

Chapter Notes:

Recap: "Now that he has grown his wings, did he truly forget this lowly teacher of his..?" The azure-haired master sighed as he watched the illusory being flutter into nothingness. While the team of cultivators diligently collected evidence to solve the murder mystery in a small village. 

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"Shidi, did you realize something back in the cave? Is that why you rushed ahead of me?" Bai Feng was still frowning at his junior's rash actions.

"My apologies Shixiong.. It might just be a coincidence but I had to make sure.. As you know, we visited the chief's home a few times. And during those meetings, we happened to catch a glimpse of his daughter. She was unnaturally thin, and seemed very sickly so we instinctively asked about her condition." the junior started his explanation.

"The chief told us that he had a lot of medics come and check up on her, but no one succeeded in curing her. And as he was telling her story, he showed us a painting of her. It was quick but I happened to see the name written at the bottom of the scroll and.. The same name was carved into the tombstone.." hearing the eldest talk about their findings, the two teenagers protested why they didn't bring them to the cave.

The young adult was busy calming his fellow disciples down while Bai Feng frowned his eyebrows, going over all the information they had collected so far.

"Shixiong..?" the oldest of the three called out.

"When you visited the chief, did you feel something out of place?" the informant crossed his arms in deep thought.

The three juniors looked at each other before shaking their heads.

"It's almost time for you three to report to the chief right?" the cedar-haired beauty stared at a particular girl's profile in their villagers' report.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Not long after, the team knocked on the door of the chief's home. Slightly opening his door, the chief beamed when seeing the cultivators. He gave a warm welcome before sitting down, wearing a concerned expression.

"So is there any progress with the investigation?" the village leader asked as he served tea to his guests.

The team discussed all the findings they had, except for a few facts that Bai Feng told them not to reveal. As the younger ones kept the man busy with their report, the informant kept glancing at a door just behind the chief.

"Is there something on my face, esteemed cultivator?" the man asked in confusion.

"I'm very sorry for being rude, but if I may ask, what are you keeping in that room over there?" the cedar-haired beauty asked politely.

The chief apologized and told Bai Feng that it is his daughter's room. But since she is ill, she would not be accepting any visits.