Chapter 28 - Fragments of the past

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Xiao Tian finally took off his mask in front of Bai Feng of his own volition, not knowing that the informant had forgotten what had happened during mid-autumn. This revelation immediately alerted the informant.

Knowing the identity of an assassin means death after all.

Slowly but surely, the two began to become more vulnerable with each other. As they start to become unsure about how to treat one another. They both knew it was not a good idea to get close, yet they couldn't pry away.

The battle between their logic and feelings continues.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Once the clan leader made his opening speech, murmurs began as the members hesitantly discussed how to handle the situation.

The family was mainly torn into two, one side wanted Bai Feng gone, and another side wanted to use his powers to their advantage.

The group who feared the child, didn't want him to be in the family. A mentality that a threat should be nipped in the bud before it comes to bite them in the back.

While the faction that wanted to use Bai Feng to their advantage suggested that the child should be the acting clan head as soon as possible. Whilst they could still mold him to fit their ambitions, to manipulate him like a puppet.

Unfortunately, as a whole family, they could not reach an agreement. Different sides seem to have their own motive for why they suggest each solution.

But one thing was clear, no one gave a thought to the well-being of the child.

That night, the mood for the family's dinner was tense, the small family of four ate in silence and their mother quickly rushed the children out after they finished eating.

"Kids, head to your room. We'll be there soon, I just need to talk about something with your Father."

The brothers nodded and hand in hand, they walked back to their room. Once they reached their room Bai Feng closed the door and sat down across from his brother.

"Ge.." young Bai Feng seemed anxious.

"If we remain obedient, nothing bad will come to us," comforted Qiu Cheng as he patted his brother's head gently.

While in the dining room, the atmosphere was tense until Bai Feng's Father broke the silence.

"It would be best if we abandon him," said the clan leader.

"Abandon? How could you toss away our precious son because of an accident?" his wife questioned in disbelief.

"An accident? You're lucky he didn't 'unintentionally' kill you then. With that kind of power, he's already seen as a social pariah. We're a family of medicine yet he murdered people! That's the exact opposite of what we stood for"

"He wouldn't harm us.. Besides, we can find someone to train Bai Feng to control his powers.." the woman tried to convince her husband.

"I will not risk it." the husband curtly replied.

"You can't possibly think a young child like him has malicious intent? That child.." Bai Feng's mother cried out before being interrupted.

"Silence! I did not expect you to talk back to me.. You are fortunate that I am patient with you, my wife." replied the clan leader curtly. Bai Feng's father was surprised to see his obedient, soft-spoken wife having such strong opinions this time. Her perseverance is clearly visible in her beautiful golden eyes.