Chapter Sixteen

Welcome to Chapter 16 - yep in a way this is a double update as less then 24 hrs since the last update - thank you so much for all the comments, reads and votes - this is a long chapter so will dive right in, tissues at the ready and enjoy!!!

Newt POV

I don't remember much about the days that follow the explosion, as I look back it is all just a blur. The bits I do remember are just bits and pieces, like the FBI arriving and taking charge of the scene, going to the Hospital to be with him and not wanting to leave until I absolutely needed to, heading to the Safe Haven before properly meeting up with everyone again.

Chuck left the Hospital two days after the incident, he himself craved Jeff's name into the memorial stone that had been raised when the Safe Haven was opened. The first time I spotted my name on it was a really strange experience to see but I felt the emotions as I carved his name onto the wall. This is just so wrong, firstly adding his name and his actually family not been present as they were still in the Hospital.

The funerals for all that had died that night happened a month later; once everyone was well enough to attend and all the bodies had been released. Janson and the twelve WCKD soldiers who died were all buried in a mass unmarked grave and the remains of WCKD buried with them.

In total including him and Janson, there were thirty lives lost on that fateful day. Jeff and Teresa along with the fourteen others from the Mazes that we couldn't either get out in time or further enough away before the self-destruction sequence completed.

His funeral was held two weeks after everyone else; no matter how hard I tried to prepare myself and be there for his family I couldn't hold myself together as I saw the mass amount of people waiting to follow the hearse the short distance to his final resting place.

Scott gripped my hand so tightly I thought he was going to break it, but oddly I found the pain comforting. As we reached the chapel, it was too full that many had to gather outside to listen in. Some people said amazing things about him, I can't help but laugh when a few funny stories are told, I know today is not the right day, but it was nice to laugh again. May sometime soon it will be okay to laugh and smile once again.

After the private burial, we all headed back to the Safe Haven as he didn't want to go home as there was too many memories present. I have lost count today of how many hugs I have received or the number of tears I have shed. The remained of the day follows the funeral in a way with everyone gathered around the bonfire sharing stories or toasting to those we have lost.

"How are you doing?" He asks as he takes a seat down on a log next to me and grasps my hand within his as I lean my head onto his shoulder as I feel the millionth tear run down my face.

"Seriously, you are asking me how I am doing after the day you have had." I state in shock as I don't know how he is been so strong, especially today of all days.

"Yes, because if someone else asks me how I am or give that sad face, I will go crazy to the stage of either popping me into Eichen or sending me alone into the Maze." He explains and I can't help but smile again at this.

"Fair enough, I can understand that." I advise as we fall into a comforting silence as the distance bonfire crackles as more talking, laughter and toasts fill the night air.

A few days later we are all sat around the dining table at the McCall's house, Agent McCall seemed to have some further information over what actually happened nearly three months ago. We were all sipping out cups of tea and coffee as Agent McCall opened up his laptop and positioned it so we could all watch. Present around the table currently was myself, him, Scott, Lydia, Melissa, Minho, Derek and Agent McCall.