Seventeen

Alexander leaned back in his chair before the crackling fire, warming his large bedroom in the frozen tower. Winter was coming up fast and though the cold had never bothered him before, now he felt this need to keep his living space warm.

Tonight his attention was far from the fire and his mind continued to dance just like the flames. He was frustrated beyond belief, unable to understand how she could have evaded him again when she seemed so willing to be with him tonight.

When he had left her side to speak with his parents, it was to ensure she wouldn't leave, and yet, she vanished before he could even introduce her to them. He embarrassed himself, claiming he had found his wife, his mother desperate to meet her and when he turned around she was nowhere to be found.

He had looked everywhere for her, even asking the guards at the gate if they had seen her leave. All said they had seen no signs of a beautiful woman with golden locks in a grey gown enter or exit the castle.

He pushed aside and denied every maiden that tried to garner his attention, wanting to dance with him, his mind only on finding his mystery girl.

He would marry her.

He had come to this conclusion, despite knowing very little about her. He knew enough and that was more than most royalty. Besides they had their whole lives to get to know one another. To get to know each others every touch, every kiss and every ache.

He was desperate to taste those lips that looked as sweet as cherries. He wanted to tear off her mask and see more than just those deep and endless blue eyes. He wanted more. More and more! Everything she was, and all she gave was overwhelming and still he craved it all!

Everything about her intrigued him.

He looked down at his balled fist, uncurling his fingers to reveal the small spinning wheel he had found in his dinner. Gently, he flicked his thumb over the wheel and it turned with a squeak, making him grin ever so slightly.

"You are fascinating, my mutt." He mumbled to himself, his eyes squinting in scrutiny, "Where did you get this?" He asked the darkness around him, expecting no answer, not even from the maid herself if she had been here.

The gold was heavy and solid, a true family heirloom that had been slipped to him through a message of soup.

But why?

First a ring and now a spinning wheel? It was all so coincidental, but he wondered if he were blaming the correct person. In all her time here, the beast known as Thousandfurs was obedient for the most part as far as he understood and stayed inside of the kitchen. She would not have stolen either of these items and if she had, she had no reason to gift them to a man with a million times the power and money than she.

She was so frail and weak. He knew she was afraid of him and that excited his boundless urge to destroy the world around him. He was a warrior. A man of battle and everyone should fear him.

But the princess, the one with the golden hair, was stronger than she may appear. She wished for freedom and spoke to him knowing she was not below him in any way. He enjoyed speaking with her and wanted to know all the thoughts that filled her mind... but she so reluctantly would share at times, same with the beast girl.

Both confused him and neither was able to satiate this desire in him to control the world around him. Perhaps he could order for the beast to be locked in his chambers with him and to only serve him. Would that calm this need within him? But oh, was the chase so much fun.

He relaxed further into the plush cushion and closed his eyes, his hand still clutching the spinning wheel, wondering where it had come from, along with the golden ring resting on his nightstand, hidden beneath a handkerchief.