Nineteen

"Seal the gates!" Alexander shouted, rolling his shoulders back, a menacing glare daring anyone to question his command, "Guard every door. No one comes in or out."

He marched through the crowded ballroom, the guests parting for him, silence following each of his footsteps. The orchestra had ceased their playing and was watching on for some form of instruction.

King Theodore rushed to his son's side, keeping his tone level and his voice low, "What is happening?" He asked.

"She escaped, again." Alexander growled in annoyance, "but she is not getting away this time."

"Who is this girl?" He pushed, following him to the edge of the room, where a guard stood beside the exit.

Of course, the king knew very well the identity of the girl in the starlight gown. He knew her, but he needed to ensure his son did as well before he handed him off to this conquest.

"My future bride." He scowled, "Guard, have you seen a woman with golden hair leave through this door?"

"No, my lord." The soldier stiffened and spoke with clarity, avoiding eye contact with the prince.

"Where did she disappear to?" He muttered to himself, turning around, completely ignoring his father's presence, "I need her found!"

"Do you even know this girl's name?" Did his son lack such manners to even ask the poor girl such a simple question as to her name, or did he bathe in her beauty only, not caring for the wounded soul inside?

Alexander stopped abruptly, shoving his face close to the old man's, "If I knew her name, she would already be my wife!" He growled, "But she is a stubborn thing and refuses to tell me. That ends tonight."

"Her name is Katerina." A voice spoke above the rest, stepping out from the sea of guests, "and when she is found, I would appreciate if my property was returned to me."

"Katerina." Alexander breathed, happy to finally place a worthy name upon the beautiful creature he had been dancing with and dreaming of. But this happiness was short-lived as the rest of the stranger's words set in. His brows scrunched together in anger and he balled his fists at his sides, holding himself back, "What be your claim to this woman?" He asked, furious.

King Theodore recognized the man but knew his son was not as familiar with the surrounding kingdoms and their kings. Especially not this one, who had been outcast by most societies, despite still maintaining a great amount of power.

"She is promised to me." The new king smirked, "and I plan to complete our union as soon as you return her to me."

"Return her?" Alexander scoffed, "You act as though I have taken something from you when I have done nothing of the sort. Besides, you hold no claim to her virtue, and only her father could take her from me now."

"Paul, you are not welcome here." King Theodore stepped in trying to keep the peace, mostly for the princesses sake, wherever she may be.

"I fear we have a misunderstanding," Paul chuckled deeply, "I am her father."

Indeed, King Paul of Leningston stood center stage, an evil smirk across his lips.

The hall went silent, more so than it was before. Perhaps it was due to this sudden confession that Princess Katerina was indeed alive and here in the castle or it was because Prince Alexander looked as though he was about to tear him limb from limb.

"You hold no power here." King Theodore stood between the two. He vowed to protect the young girl and he would, even if it took his last breath. He would do everything in his power to keep her away from her sinful father.