Twenty-Six

Nerves are a natural part of a wedding day and Katerina was no exception. In fact, her hands were shaking so much so that the petals on her bouquet began to fall off.

The multiple shades of pink littered the floor before the extensive outline of her skirt, where she waited outside the chapel doors. The church was filled with guests, none of which she knew but it did not matter.

None of them were there for her.

Weddings were an old fashion formality to show off power and status. It was expected of them to share their wedding with all their influential neighbors.

Katerina would have much preferred a private ceremony in the woods than here, but alas it was not to be so. Perhaps, after tonight she could request of him that very ceremony of her dreams. She was nearly certain he would oblige her. That was if he did not disappear again.

She sighed, tapping her shoe under her blooming lace skirt. Alexander had placed his mother in charge of designing and overseeing all fittings for the gown and it had turned out rather spectacular. The queen had a wonderful eye and a kind heart, gifting her family heirlooms that were meant for her daughter someday, but since she did not have one, she wanted Katerina to take them.

One of the several gifts was an ornate hairpin that was now holding back a section of her hair. It was a willow branch with beautiful light pink crystals as the leaves. It matched the simple, yet massive, wedding gown perfectly, adding a pop of color. 

"Chin up." King Theodore prompted, coming up behind her to stand at her side, "nothing to be nervous about my darling."

"There will be so many people watching me." She stuttered, her chest constricting in her corset.

"You will get used to it. Being in the public eye is not always pleasant but it is our duty." He smiled and nodded, understanding her innocent shyness. No one had ever seen the princess of Lenningston before, there had only been rumors. Now that she had been revealed to the world and was being married off, everyone wanted to catch a glimpse of the fabled girl with golden hair.

"It is time." Theodore took her hand and placed it on top of his arm, prepared to walk her down the aisle.

The sound of the pipe organ escaped through the cracks in the door as they were slowly pulled open. When they were fully exposed, her soon-to-be father-in-law took the lead, walking her down the aisle.

Katerina had never been to a wedding before, especially not back home in Lenningston. Her father never allowed it though she could not understand why.

She did not know for certain what she was supposed to do and feared she would do or say the wrong thing. The queen walked her through each section of the ceremony and promised the priest would direct her.

All she had to do was follow their lead.

At the end of the long aisle, past the pews full of allies and spectators was Alexander. His military uniform was freshly pressed and his sword proudly hung at his side. A pleased grin spread across his face as he extended a hand out to her.

"Who gives away this bride?" The priest asked, his gravelly voice echoing through the stained glass chapel.

"I, King Theodore IV, give away this bride." The king looked down at Katerina and kissed her forehead, before placing her right hand in Alexander's.

"Thank you, father." He said, helping Katerina step up to join him at the front of the chapel, "you look beautiful." He commented, looking her up and down.