Thirty-Six

"What was that?" Katerina whispered in shock, as she rocked herself back and forth. The large quilt that was thrown over their marital bed now swaddled her in a ring of comfort.

Her tears were nearly dried up but every once in a while she would think of the events that transpired 30 minutes ago and collapse into hopeless sobs.

Alexander coughed beside her, standing up and pacing around the room against her wishes. The resident healer took a look at his neck and determined that his windpipe was damaged and would need time to heal properly but otherwise he was alright.

Katerina equated that to mean getting more rest which he refused.

"Him." Alexander's voice was gravely and at times came out with a wheeze but he fought through the obvious pain.

Katerina shivered, the image of her deceased father popping up in her mind, "I'm cursed."

"Darling-" her husband coughed, crossing the room to her side, "No."

Katerina nodded frantically, "Satan himself has latched onto me. No matter what I have done, my father's actions will forever haunt me and I will live in the shadow of his sins." This realization rattled her to her very center and made her chest constrict until she could no longer breathe.

"Love-" Alexander cried hoarsely, his voice giving out. He grabbed her arms and brought her slim wrists into one hand, bringing them up to his chest, "Breathe." He cooed, leaning in to hold her and help release the tension that seemed to only build inside her tiny body.

Frantically Katerina managed to draw in a very shaky and short burst of air before gaining control over her lungs again, "Why me?"

Alexander did not have the answers to the very same questions he had been asking himself for months now.

Why did God give this challenge to one of the most perfect beings on this planet? A woman who worshiped the Lord and his son and yet despite all her good she was made to face horrific sins.

"Evil does not-" it hurt to speak but the King powered through, "care about- fair."

Katerina's eyes glanced up from her lap, retreating out of her husband's comforting arms, "Your father should have never invited that dark magic into the castle. This never would have happened." She felt guilty for blaming the old King especially since the treatment appeared to be helping. The past few days with this new healer using his unconventional remedies made Katerina very uneasy but for the sake of saving his life, she kept her mouth shut.

She could not remain quiet any longer. It was obvious that somehow this darkness brought life back into her father's flesh, allowing him to dig his way free from his many graves and find his way back to her.

"He will never stop. Not even in death will his soul leave me be." She whimpered, her fingers tracing her lips in terror, fighting the urge to bite her nails.

"I tore him to pieces- myself," Alexander agreed, clearing his throat, "I let his soul wander." He took up her hands, wishing he had the strength to speak the words he wished to say.

Katerina shook her head quickly, "No. No. You saved me from him. You did not cause this." He did what he believed was best for everyone, especially her, and she would always be grateful. Besides, what else could he have done?

One does not typically account for disembodied limbs seeking revenge.

Choosing to agree with her, even if he did not feel the same way, Alexander nodded, "It's over now." He promised, guilt riddling his heart, wishing he could have done more to prevent this.