Thirty-Eight

Alexander kept his promise and built a vineyard outside the Lenningston castle. Sprawling fields and a small cottage just for Katerina to explore and play all day. Just as the Queen Marie Antoinette of France in her playhouse, Katerina was free to do whatever she pleased.

She rarely returned to the castle, and would only go by force if needed. Any social events, parties or meetings were mandatory in her position, but the King managed to excuse her most of the time.

She hated that castle.

She hated that her father tainted it's memory.

Whenever she did return, she always visited her mother's tomb. She sat beside her and spoke as she did her needle work, just as she had the years before.

Alexander reopened the garden and the flowers bloomed again. It was a beautiful tribute to her beautiful mother.

If only her father had not fallen so far from grace...

Many months had passed since the King and Queen's union. They were beloved by the people of Lenningston and Claridon. They spent hours among the people in the markets and spoke freely with the servants of their government.

Alexander knew he could not manage the two kingdoms alone and the once strong monarchy became diplomatic. He relinquished a lot of his power to his adversaries and chose to focus on the happiness of his wife.

Katerina was nearly 10 months pregnant. Their little one was overdue to arrive and her husband was growing exceedingly anxious by the day.

The doctors told him it was nothing to worry about. They still could feel the baby kick and every time they examined the Queen, she appeared in good health. Her stamina had decreased but she still wandered the fields every day and played with the townsfolk's children. She struggled to sleep and her sexual appetite was nearly constant, but other than that not much had changed.

Alexander struggled to stay away from her in these final months. He wanted- needed to be beside her at all times, in fear something would happen.

Katerina slowly became more independent after the incident with her father. She was learning to live again without fear, but as soon as that anxiety left her it was replaced by an entirely new fear.

Motherhood.

The fear of not providing. If this child was a son, then there was nothing to worry about but a daughter would bring more issues than she was worth.

Just like her.

Just like Katerina.

Cursed by her gender and the sins of her father.

Would her child be cursed by her sins?

In only a few short months she felt she had grown so much and yet not at all. The body she lived in and her heart felt full but guarded. Her skin was shaved and cleaned with milk and honey and her hair was down and free. Her life was different but was she?

Or was she still a scared beast hiding in her cabinet?

Once the child was born she did not know if they could remain in the cottage or if she would be forced to move into the castle. Her father's room had been stripped clean and remained empty.

When the couple was together in the castle they remained in rooms that had previously been reserved for guests. Alexander made sure to completely overhaul her childhood home and make it unrecognizable.

That did not stop the nightmares.

Endless and restless nights full of fear and screaming.

Several times in a night Alexander would have to wake her from her torment and stroke her hair until she fell back asleep.