1.11 The Hunger

WARNING: Disturbing content

I never claimed to be a good cook. But when I had the time, I'd try to make dinner for the whole family. It was a much simpler time back then. It was before Bennett ever gave into his madness.

"Vicky, I think you may have added sugar instead of salt to the chips..." my dad informed me politely.

I felt my cheeks flush from the embarrassment. "You're kidding, right?" I desperately pleaded. But everyone stayed silent which confirmed my worst fears.

"I knew I should've ordered takeout instead!" I groaned as I face-planted straight into my salad.

As everyone laughed at my misfortune, I felt like screaming internally. "Cheer up, Vicky. I'll show you how to make it properly next time, okay!" My stepmother said as she tried to calm down from laughing.

"Really?" I said as I looked up at her with puppy dog eyes. She really is an angel. I'm so lucky to have her! With newfound motivation, I quickly got up and took everyone's plates away. "I'll go order delivery instead. Does pizza sound good?"

"Ah, I'll help you bring the plates out," Bennett said as he got up from his seat.

Once we were alone in the kitchen, I pulled out my phone as I scrolled through my contacts to find the number. "Y'know, I'd eat anything you'd make," Bennett said reassuringly.

I looked up from my phone and smiled at Bennett in return. "Yeah, but your cooking is probably better than mine. So be careful what you wish for." I said jokingly.

"I wouldn't mind cooking for you every day." He said in a flirty voice as his hand slowly glossed over mine.

As I thought back to his cooking, I felt myself becoming nauseous as I recalled all of the horrifying meals, he made me. Each and every one he delivered to me through his own mouth.

The only exception was when he made me this sundae once as a treat. But the cruel twist was that he revealed to me once I was done eating it that it was filled with his bodily love.

I went on a hunger strike for a week. It only ended when he forced my mouth open through suffocation.

The more I dwelled on the past the more depressed present-day me became. Once enough was enough I shook it from my head as I went back to mixing.

What kind of kid requests a steak for lunch? I suppose he's not exactly a kid anymore, nor is her your average human either... but, still. I was not confident in the slightest with my own cooking skills.

Therefore, he'll have to settle on meatballs. That should cover it for the protein, right? As I continued to mould the meatballs with my hands I was taken aback by a familiar face.

"I haven't seen you around for a while," Nick said in a jolly voice. I felt my breath hitch as I slowly turned to look at him. "What? You look like you've seen a ghost." He said with a slight chuckle.

I didn't know how to react, so I simply froze to the spot and dropped the meatball from my hand.

"Hey, seriously..." Nick said as he reached over to touch my arm. "Are you okay, Vana?"

Once I felt his hand, I pushed him away as he stumbled backwards in fear. Shoot! If he didn't know before know Bennett will definitely know it's me now!

"Woah, I'm sorry if I crossed the line," Nick said as he slowly backed away from the other side of the counter as to show he meant to harm. "I was just worried about you. But I won't bother you if you have something on your mind."

As Nick slowly went to leave the room he stopped in his tracks once he reached the doorway. "But eh... before I leave." He started. "I'd really like it if you could join me on my next trip into town."

He gave me one last pitiful smile before leaving. "I have something I need to ask you about."

As I stared out my window at the night sky, I was reminded of that urge I had previously to open it. Perhaps it was because I thought it was serene out there, or maybe it was the result of someone's meddling.

I slowly turned to Stefan who was flossing his teeth at the end of my bed. "Stefan," I called out in more boredom.

He quickly perked his head up like an energetic puppy. "Hm?" He muttered.

"Would it be possible for someone like you to hypnotise others?"

"Hypnotise..." He absentmindedly remarked to himself. He slowly started to crawl towards me, not looking away from my eyes for a second. Once he was as close as possible to me, he looked deeply into my eyes and said, "kiss me."

...

I threw a pillow at Stefan's face. "Not funny." I gritted through my teeth.

Stefan laughed it off and he rolled onto his back. "Well, I answered your question though, didn't I?" Once he stopped laughing, he slowly raised himself up onto his elbows. "When I'm stronger I should be able to do it."

I suppose this means that I can expect more sudden growth spurts in the future then. Fantastic... although it has gotten me curious. "How does that happen anyway?"

"What do you mean?" Stefan asked while tilting his head to the side.

"How do you... grow." I asked hesitantly.

Stefan paused before he sat upright. "I need to feed on lots of blood."

I felt my stomach curl. I suppose the servant was enough for him to trigger a transformation. It makes me wonder how much older he would've gotten had he drank from Atticus.

As I recalled his fate, I couldn't help but feel bad for Mr Grigori. He has just lost his eldest son and yet he can't properly grieve. His only choice to explain both of his son's disappearances is to lie. As far as everyone else is concerned, they're currently visiting relatives. I wonder how long it'll take until people will start to question the validity of that claim...

"I'd like to get stronger, Vana." Stefan chirped up

I looked at home questioningly. "You can't kill anymore—"

"Not if it was you!" Stefan exclaimed.

Huh?

"If it was you..." Stefan said shyly while twirling his fingers. "I'd be able to control myself."