4.11 Firestarter

"You tried to kidnap Vana?" Cassius asked rhetorically as he hung his head down low, in an attempt to suppress his anger.

Oliver didn't back down as he confidently approached us. "I've fallen in love with her." Oliver darted his eyes towards me maliciously. "I know she'll see things my way eventually."

Not happening, buddy! I'd sooner choose death than accept a yandere's love! This guy is just delusional. It's clear that no matter what I say he'll refuse to change his mind about me!

Seeing as his anger reached a boiling point, Cassius spun around to face Oliver commandingly. As he started to twirl his hands around, a black spark started to ignite from his fingertips. Fearing imminent danger, I crawled backwards in caution.

What happened next was all a blur. There was a puff of black and white smoke as the two clashed with one another. I originally felt hopeful that perhaps Cassius had gained the upper hand since the rope and tape had magically disappeared from me. But little did I know, worse things were yet to come.

The smell of burning soon filled the air as I looked up to discover that the room had suddenly caught on fire. Oh god, this isn't good at all!

"CASSIUS!" I screamed in a harrowing voice. But there was no response as the two were far too preoccupied with their confrontation to pay any heed to their surroundings.

I tried my best to stand upright on shaky legs as I used the walls to guide myself out of the room and into the corridor. I doubled over in pain to cough and heave as I desperately clung for air.

No more was Oliver's dorm simply filled with ashy smoke, but it was enveloped in crimson flames that were spreading like a wildfire to the dormitory corridor. It didn't take long for everyone else in the dorm block to catch onto the commotion.

Everyone started to scream as they desperately evacuated the building. The current scene was the embodiment of unadulterated chaos as people were pushing each other out of the way and falling to the floor clumsily.

This is bad, more people are being dragged into this mess! Looking around, I tried to find a fix for the problem at hand. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the fire alarm as the panicked swarm of people obscured my view.

It wasn't until I saw a nearby drinking fountain that I felt my anxiety slowly dissipate. Please, I know my luck is laughably bad, but just this once... can something please go my way!

Closing my eyes, I did everything I could to concentrate on my magic. Eventually, the sound of groaning pipes started to squeak. Once I applied enough pressure, the pipes fortunately busted with vicious velocity.

More people started to trip over each other as the fiery corridor was now flooded with water. I did what I could to help people regain their footing as I made my way back toward Oliver's room

Cassius had Oliver pinned to the floor as he held his dark flaming hand above him without any mercy. Just as Cassius was about to strike him, I called out to him one last time. "CASSIUS!"

He stopped what he was doing and looked at me as if he was a deer caught in headlights. His red eyes slowly started to fade away as I made my way toward him. "I won't forgive you if you kill a single human being!"

I outstretched an open hand towards him as I looked him in the eyes pleadingly. "We need to get out of here, right now!"

Reluctantly, Cassius took my hand as he pulled me out of the room without another word. I took one last look at Oliver as I felt nothing but apathy towards him.

I don't want anything to do with him anymore, he can make his own way out of this mess for all I care!

As we stood outside and watched the flames be properly extinguished, I couldn't help but feel guilty for the part I played in all of this. People could have died tonight had we not been lucky. I don't know how I can live with myself knowing that fact.

"You two!" A stern voice called out from behind. "This is your doing, is it not?"

Turning around, there was a bearded man wearing spectacles staring us down hatefully. Based on his elderly age I think it's safe to say he was probably the academy's headmaster.

I'm unsure of how he knew we were directly involved in the incident itself, but it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We were guilty.

As I sat in the chair of the headmaster's office listening to him lecture me, the door suddenly busted wide-open.

"Daddy, are you done yet?" Beatrice wined as she filed her long nails absentmindedly. "There's this new designer bag I want."

She's the headmaster's daughter? Well, that sure was surprising. From the sounds of it, her father is to blame for her spoilt attitude. Beatrice hesitantly looked up to click her tongue at me.

"Tch, I know it was you who tried to get my Oliver killed in that fire!" She whipped her hair behind her back as she made her way toward her father's side.

Don't tell me, she's the one who ratted on Cassius and me? Ugh, of course, she'd do something like that out of jealousy. She can have Oliver for all I care, I don't want him!

"I think it goes without saying that you will be immediately expelled." The headmaster announced as he took a long sip from his glass of water.

"Huh? But what about Cassius–"

"Considering his family... he is a special case. Therefore, we will enact a different punishment on him." He further explained.

Ha, in other words, he's too scared of his family to expel Cassius. But what does that mean for me? How can I stay by Cassius' side if I'm the only one being expelled from school?

"Considering the irreparable damages, you have caused to this academy, we will be expecting compensation from you."

"But I'm poor!" I pleaded.

Beatrice gave me a twisted smirk as she tried to hide her devilish delight. "It looks like someone is getting exiled." My face dropped in horror. "I'm sure you know what happens to girls like you, right?"

N-NO WAY! THIS IS LIKE ONE OF THE WORST OUTCOMES TO HAPPEN IN THIS WORLD! W-W-WHAT DO I DO???