2.18 Descending Into the Unknown

Luka set me down a grey rock and kneeled before me in concern. "Are you okay? They didn't hurt you did they—"

I swatted Luka's hand away from my face. "WHEREAS YOUR HUMANITY!" I yelled angrily. Luka stared at me dubiously. "I know you led those zombies to the base," I said in a hushed voice.

I dug my fingernails into my lap to try and suppress the anger from imploding. "Human life is precious... you can't just throw it away like that!" I gave Lucas a stern stare. "They're people just like you and me!"

Lucas' face slowly became that of sorrow. "You're right. I'm sorry..." he said as he hung his head in shame. "I'll never do anything like that again."

That's a lie. He still plans on wiping out the rest of humanity when he becomes the next zombie king. I'm painfully aware that no matter what I say he won't change his stance on that...

"So, what, you're a B-Rank now, aren't you?" I said with a sigh. "I guess that means we'll need to find an A-Rank for you to—"

"I already have that covered." I looked towards Luka in puzzlement. What does he mean he's got it covered?

"The king will have usually have a second in command. They're usually an A-Rank since only the next strongest zombie is fit to serve the king."

It really is a hierarchy... "And how exactly do we find this second in command then?" I asked while planting my chin into my hands.

Luka got up to stretch. "Easy. We just track down a pack of zombies and hope they return to the king's lair!" All I could do was bat my eyes in response. I find it hard to believe that it's really THAT easy to find the hideout of the most powerful zombie in the world!

"How do we know the zombies will return to their lair anyway? Aren't they kind of aimless?"

Luka firmly shook his head. "As I said before, all zombies have to obey the king. In fact, packs of zombies are highly likely to return to their lair than the average loner like me." Luka lifted me onto my feet with one quick tug. "Think of the packs like henchmen set out to do their master's evil bidding!"

So, zombies basically operate on the same wavelength? Man, the king must be really powerful if he can send signals out to all his subordinates just like that...

As Luka pulled me along by the hand, I narrowed my eyes as another pressing question popped into my head. "And where exactly will we find this pack of zombies? Another screamer perhaps?"

Luka chuckled to himself. "That would be way too dangerous." Luka looked back to give me a wink. "I've been tailing some nearby zombies. How else do you think I lured them to that base?"

Ugh. He really isn't feeling regretful of his actions! It's almost like he's proud of himself for launching that attack on the base...

As we kept walking around the forest, we eventually came across the sound of loud eating. Luka quietly pulled me behind a bush as observed a pack feast on the carcass of a deer.

Uuuu... do I really have to watch this? For a second, I jumped with fright as all of the zombies whipped their heads around in unison. I thought they had spotted me, but it seems as if they were all reacting to the same thing.

"You can't hear it, can you?" Like whispered into my ear. I gently shook my head in response. "I'm not surprised. Only zombies can hear the frequency."

Luka proceeded to lean in closer to my ear. "They're being summoned." As we watched the pack slowly depart, I felt as if I were trapped inside a natural history documentary.

"Let's tail them. Just be careful to not get too close." Luka said as we cautiously rose to our feet.

When it comes to a secret hideout, it could be anywhere. But I had to give the zombies some special credit here. They sure were clever with where they chose theirs.

As I watched the zombies climb down a manhole in the car junkyard, I felt almost impressed. "So, they're living underground," I commented.

"Looks like it," Luka replied. As we approached the now sealed manhole, Luka was quick to intercept me as he pushed me to the side.

"I've never been inside so I don't know how dangerous it is." And with that, Luka opened the door to an old and busted SUV. "Wait here until I come back for you."

I reluctantly got inside the vehicle. In truth, I didn't feel like descending into the depths of the unknown. But if Luka thought that I'd allow him to tie my chain around the seat for even a second, then he had another thing coming!

I quickly grabbed Luka's hand as I tore the chain from his grip. "If you care about me, you won't tie me up!" I rebuked. I'm practically a sitting duck as it is, so I could really do without the extra burden.

To my relief, Luka didn't protest any further. Instead, gave me one last kiss before setting off. "I won't be long."

As I sunk into the backseat, I tried to take a nap to pass the time. But to no avail, I was kept awake with troubling thoughts of what might happen if Luka fails.

As I turned to my side, I heard the sound of talking outside. Oh wow. This is the first time I've seen another zombie speak apart from Luka!

"Well, what do you think?" The tall lanky zombie asked.

The shorter, and stouter zombie adjusted his glasses as he inhaled deeply. "It's getting stronger. They're probably hiding somewhere close by."

Oh no. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say they're looking for me and Luka. But why? I don't understand...

As I slowly went to peek my head out the window, I jumped back in fright as a zombie with eyes rolling out the back of his head and rotting teeth, slammed against the window.

"SHE'S HERE!" A voice roared.

As I went to hold the door shut closed, I was soon surrounded by at least 20 zombies. Uuuu... this isn't good at all!