2.7 Pit Stop

As I huddled my head between my knees, my present-day tears started to pour out like a volcanic eruption. "It's... all my... fault" I sobbed. "They died because I... I... touched the wheel!"

While I was caught up in my incoherent sobbing, I didn't notice someone trying to pull me out of the van. It couldn't have been Cole or Ryan as they had both succumbed to their injuries from the crash. So that left only one other person.

As Luka tried to calm me down by pushing the hair out of my face, I eventually found the willpower to stop my sobbing. "Look, we're close now," Luka said while pointing off into the distance.

I finally regained my senesces as I followed Luka's hand. Who would've thought? I could see a rundown mall in the distance behind all of the foliage. If we're lucky and play our cards right, I might be able to find something to eat there. The last thing I'd want to happen is to succumb to starvation after all.

But I don't think I can walk on my own right now. My legs were practically like jelly as I was still shaken from the crash. Even if I was in top-notch condition, I suppose it wouldn't have mattered either way. And that's because Luka had planned on carrying me as per usual.

I guess this is the only time I'll ever be grateful for Luka's persistence. To show my appreciation, I gave him a tight hug as I pulled my body in closer to his.

Once we reached the main entrance to the mall, I got off Luka's back as we hovered around the door. I shouldn't be surprised that the mall was trashed from the broken shop windows to puddles of dried blood. It goes without question that zombies would inevitably strike this place.

"On second thoughts, I don't think we'll be able to find edible food here." I turned around with cold feet. "Maybe we should go back to hunting for it instead."

Luka sighed in response as he made his way further inside the mall "H-Hey, wait up!" I protested. I guess Luka was set on checking this place out in the end.

As I slowly trailed behind Luka with folded arms, I scanned the entire place, fearing that we could be ambushed at any second. But the echoing sound of our shoes clicking against the floor was the only thing that could be heard. You would think you'd at least see some rats considering how poor the sanitation was here. But no, all that remained was the aftermath of a zombie purge.

Luka's pace came to a slow halt as his eyes were transfixed on an outdoor adventure store. "Emergency food..." He mumbled to himself.

From the looks of it, this store was already heavily looted. But lucky for me, there still remained a couple of instant meals I could work with. Taking as much as I could possibly hold, I stopped in my tracks as a box of bandages caught my eye.

I should take some for Luka, he'll need to treat that gunshot wound after all. It's a pity that he can't heal like a vampire though. It sure would make things more convenient for us.

Everything was progressing a bit too smoothly. As I chowed down on the chicken curry, my restlessness only persisted. I suppose the best way to distract myself was by asking questions.

"How come you can suddenly talk now?" I asked Luka without looking up from my food.

"That blue crystal you saw me eating... it was an upgrade part," Luka replied.

An upgrade? What is he, a machine? "I don't follow. What do you mean by an upgrade?" I gave Luka a quick once-over with my eyes. "It's not like you've changed or anything..."

"My kind operate on a rank-system basis." Ah, is this where the mysterious S-Rank comes into play? If so, I'm dying to hear the explanation! "The weaker zombies... the F-Rank... they make up the majority of my kind. Their sole goal is to kill and feed on humans."

So, the average zombie... got it! "Where's I, am a D-Rank. I'm more advanced in that my brain functions like a human. I can... think for myself."

In a way, I guess the higher rank a zombie is, the more human they become. But then again, that could also mean there is a bigger increase in threat-level too.

"That zombie you fed on before, was it intelligent like you?" I asked Luka.

"That zombie is what we call a screamer. They're an E-Rank, but not to be overlooked." Luka explained. I raised an eyebrow questioningly. "They have the capacity to alert nearby zombies with their screaming. That's what separates them from the F-Ranks."

So, does this means Luka needs to feed on special zombies just like him? Gosh, I really don't like the idea of farming these upgrade crystals. From what I've seen, he'll have to open their brains and—

Wait. Why do zombies have crystals in their brains anyway? Is it some kind of mutation as a result of the zombie virus? It doesn't really make any sense if you ask me, it feels like video game logic...

"So..." I started with a drawn-out voice. "What's your big goal here then?" I tried to ask casually while stretching out my arms.

"Goal?" Luka repeated. "To protect you I guess."

Well, someone sure moves fast. "Protect me? Wouldn't you prefer to become an S-Rank zombie instead?" Please say yes, my livelihood depends on this!

"If that would make you feel more comfortable, then fine." Luka's hand extended to play with my silver locks. "I just want to keep you safe from the other zombies." Luka proceeded to gently squeeze my hand.

"I, eh..." I stuttered. "I don't see what's so special about me. But I'm not going to complain about you not wanting to eat me in any case." I said as I covered my rosy cheeks with my remaining free hand.

"You're cute and defenceless. It makes me want to take care of you." His grip on my hand tightened. "I'd like to chain you up so no one else can take you away from me."

Okay, whatever bit of attraction I had felt quickly died in that split second. This yandere attraction thing I've got going on is just too much sometimes. I swear Luka is moving faster than Stefan!

"L-Luka, let's not—"

The sound of a gun clicking could be heard.

"Don't move a muscle." A voice ordered.

How the hell did this stranger manage to sneak up on us so quickly? I get that a lot can happen in the blink of an eye. But this is just too much...

"Make any—" The stranger's voice slowly trailed off. As he gently lowered his gun, he stared at me in complete astonishment.

"Vana? Is that you?"