3.12 Curiosity Killed the Cat

WARNING: Disturbing content

"Are you okay? You look pale." As Rohan extended a hand to touch me, I instinctively flinched away. "Uh..."

As I went to hug my own body in fear, I diverted my gaze from him. Sensing my fright, Rohan waved his hands before me in a panic.

"I'm sorry if I did something to scare you. I'm just here to make a delivery." Rohan pulled out a clipboard from his bag and handed it to me. "I just need you to sign this."

Wait. Is it possible that he doesn't know it was me? He obviously knows someone broke in last night, but it's possible that he didn't see my face in the darkness. After all, he never even called my name when chasing after me.

It seems like I might have to go along with the lie. Without saying a word, I firmly nodded my head and signed the clipboard. As I returned the clipboard to him, I was met with a sheepish smile.

"Usually, Ms McCollin insists on counting all of the orders herself first. So, if you like you can follow me."

Sounds like something she'd do. She is quite stingy after all. I better do inventory or else she'll chew me out later.

As we stood outside the back of Rohan's van, I saw countless delivery boxes stacked on top of each other.

Rohan got inside and started to fiddle with the boxes. As much as I wanted to stay outside, it would look suspicious if I just watched. So, taking a deep breath I got inside and started to check the labels too.

There was a lot of different names, but none said Ms McCollin. Feeling that something horrible was about to happen, I whipped my head around to face Rohan. But he wasn't there.

In an instant, I was ambushed with chloroform. "This is your fault for being there. You should've minded your own business last night."

As I struggled to release myself from his hold, I felt my body gradually becoming weaker until I eventually went limp in his arms.

The next thing I knew was I was waking up tied to a chair. I wasn't familiar with my surroundings but if I could take a guess, I'd say it was a barn. Looking around however I was filled with terror as I came to quickly realise that this wasn't your typical barn.

Corpses were hanging from hooks all around me. But not animals like before, no, this time they were human.

I screamed in horror as I tried to undo the ropes from my wrists. But I was strapped to the spot. I couldn't move a muscle. Everywhere I looked I was surrounded by rotting death.

Eventually, my screaming alerted Rohan who came storming in. "Screaming isn't going to do anything! This place is on the outskirts of town and has been abandoned for years."

No way, then does this mean I can't even rely on being rescued? Goddammit, if I don't know where I am then there's no way that Cyrus will know either!

Rohan placed two hands firmly down on my arms and proceeded to squeeze tightly. Eventually, my skin started to turn red due to the sheer force he was applying.

"It's a shame you had to find out about my little hobby like this." As Rohan pulled out a Swiss army knife, he proceeded to play with it by tossing it in the air. Just watching him reminded me of a sadistic individual from my past. He's just like Atticus. Creepy...

"Oh well, I guess it's how the saying goes after all." Rohan held the knife up to my neck. "Curiosity killed the cat."

Sweat started to form on my brow. I can't die like this! "Y-You at least owe me an explanation first!" I looked up at Rohan pitifully with tears in my eyes. "If you're gonna kill me then it shouldn't matter, right?"

Rohan stared at me intently as he considered whether or not to adhere to my wishes. In the end, he put the knife away and sauntered towards one of the hanging corpses.

"It's true what they say about me." Rohan gave me a wink. "I'm a real lady-killer." Rohan proceeded to push the corpse so that it would rock back and forth.

"Moving to this town was both the best and worst decision I ever made." Rohan continued to stroll through the rows of corpses. "Bad because there's nothing to fucking do here. Sure, I could've fooled around with all the girls I wanted because chicks dig a hot outsider. But beyond that, they're so fucking boring and backwards here."

So arrogant!

"Day in and day out I'm stuck in this dead-end butcher business. Eventually, sex with these girls isn't enough to satisfy me anymore. I want to find another way to pass the time here..."

I looked at Rohan in disgust. "So, you just decided to kill girls? Out of boredom?" I said in incredulous.

"Pretty much. Becoming a serial killer or whatever you want to call me is a hell of a lot more interesting than just wasting away." Rohan suddenly punched one of the corpses in the face. "Leading a mundane life is the last thing I'd ever want."

I can't believe this guy. He's being serious... isn't he? Ugh, he's unbelievable! "I can't believe you're responsible for all of the disappearances of those girls..."

Rohan raised an eyebrow. "Yes and no." He answered. I looked at him suspiciously before he continued. "You see that's where things get interesting. One night I was hooking up with some broad in my car and I suddenly saw a beam of light shoot out from the sky."

A beam of light?

"Anyway, this guy who looks human but isn't really, comes up to the car. And guess what?" He leans forward with a huge grin. "He bites her entire head off!"

Sounds like something Cyrus would do, but I know it wasn't him. After all, I was the first person to ever see him. Which means this has to be the work of another one of his kind...

"Seeing that made me think that this town mightn't be so boring after all." Breaking a finger of a nearby corpse, Rohan begins to toss it between his hands.

"You could say we came up with this unspoken agreement. I kill as many girls as I like and dispose of their corpses in the forest. He eats said corpses thereby allowing me to have as much fun as I want without ever getting caught!"

Awful. This is just awful and downright disgusting! I can't believe this is Rohan's true colours...

As Rohan approached me with his knife, he tilted my chin up to look him in the eyes. "It's a shame that I'll have to kill you." He leaned in closer to my ear. "You're totally my type."

Uuuu... I really don't have many options here. No one is coming to save me. I only have myself to rely on right now. But I can't even move, FUCK!

...

I do have one last weapon left. I really don't want to do this, but if I don't then I'll die and fail my mission. Starting again would be worse, it'll give Bennett more time to get stronger.

Looking up at Rohan, I batted my eyelashes as I tried to push my chest forward. "Who says we can't have fun first?" Rohan sucked in a breath as he tried to fight back the blush on his face. "If we're being honest with each other. You're totally my type too."