4

"If you've taken one of my classes before, you know that there are two things I expect from you this school year along with the regular assignments that you will be given," Mr. Min explains. "At the end of this semester, you will be required to compose and perform a piece. You may use any instrument in your abilities. This performance will be private, only being played in front of me and your fellow students. As for the main assignment at the end of this school year, I hold a concert every year. Each student must pair with another to compose and perform a duet in the performance. Again, you may use any instrument that you are able to skillfully play. Please remember that part of your grade will be on how well you utilize the instrument you choose, so I would advise using an instrument that you have mastered for these two assignments."

Yoongi's head is already filling with ideas on the possibilities laid before him. Aria has heard this speech before since she took one of his classes last year, so she is lost in her own thoughts.

"I suggest working on these important assignments as soon as possible to give yourself ample time to compose, practice and perfect your piece. The solo pieces will count for 50% of your fall semester's grade. The same goes for the performances at the concert, though it will count for 50% of the spring semester's grade. For now, I will try to keep the homework load as light as I can so you can focus as much time and energy into your individual pieces as well as your duets. Remember that the music room is available to all instrumental music majors from 8 A.M. until 6 P.M. every day of the week, including holidays."

Mr. Min gives Yoongi and Aria a quick glance after he says this. He's given them both a key to the music room, allowing them special access to the music room after hours. He gave a key to Yoongi because he knows that even though his nephew can afford to buy a grand piano with the money he took from his bank account when his parents disowned him, he can't have a grand piano in his small apartment. He would never want his nephew to have to settle on using his simple keyboard when he's been deprived of music for most of his life because of how his brother and his brother's wife treated their son. They never allowed Yoongi his own piano and now all he has is a keyboard; Mr. Min knows of his nephew's immense talent and wants to help him be able to realize his true passion by giving him the chance to play on the grand piano that made Yoongi fall in love with music in the first place.

As for Aria, Mr. Min gave her a key to the music room because although she can't verbally speak, she can speak through music. He hears her raw talent. Even though her first love was singing and it was ripped away from her, she found a new love in playing instruments. She uses those instruments as her new voice, and a talent as pure as that cannot be ignored. She can't afford to have such state-of-the-art instruments like Mr. Min has in the music room, so he didn't hesitate to allow Aria this special privilege.

"So for now, I suggest establishing who your partner will be for the concert in May so you can at least conceive a strong foundation for the piece. I know it is only September, but it is very important to make this duet as cohesive and real as possible; you cannot play a duet successfully without any chemistry between the two musicians. That is your homework for the week. Establish your partner and begin work on your solo piece for the private performances in December," Mr. Min finishes before seating himself down at his desk and pulling a stack of papers out of his briefcase to read.

A low chatter begins to form in the room, gradually growing louder as people get up to talk to their friends and future partners.

Yoongi clears his throat uncomfortably. He knows he wants to ask Aria to be his partner for the concert because he would love the chance to be able to play with someone so talented; but he also wants to get to know about this girl. He feels so drawn to her after hearing her play.

Yoongi has always felt the need to be in control of everything. Ever since he was a child, he felt like he had no control over his life. His parents told him how his life would be. His entire life was planned out before he was even born, and he had no choice but to allow his parents to control him. When he turned 18, he realized that he had the ability to take control of his life. When Yoongi graduated high school, he had never felt more torn. His heart belonged to music; to the piano. But his entire life was already set into motion. He was meant to go to business school and then work with his parents until he was old enough to become the CEO of a company he had no interest in.

But after taking a year to think about his life and his future, he decided to take control of his own life for once. He knew he would always be empty and unfulfilled if he did what his parents wanted. So he stood up for himself and decided to follow his heart and take control. Ever since then, he's held on to the control like the second he loosens his grip, it will be jerked away from him and be forever lost.

But now that he has the chance to ask Aria to be his partner and take control as he has done so many times in his adult life, he finds that he can't do it.

She's intimidating. Those eyes look at him and he feels like she can read him on a spiritual level. There is so much behind the silence, and he can't help but to feel drawn to her and her secrets.

"Class dismissed," Mr. Min announces and all of the students begin to file towards the door.

"Aria and Yoongi, a word please," he announces through the shuffling and talking of the other students.

Yoongi gives a quick side glance to Aria, who completely ignores him and continues to read the book she's been focused on the entire class.

After the classroom is empty except for Mr. Min, Aria and Yoongi, Mr. Min lets out a loud sigh before gesturing Aria and Yoongi to come to the front of the room where he's seated at his desk.

"What's up?" Yoongi asks, frowning slightly.

"I would like for the two of you to be partners for the May concert," he explains.

Aria's eyes widen and she shakes her head, causing her messy hair to shake slightly and fall in her face.

"Aria, I truly can't think of someone who will complement your skills as well as my nephew can," Mr. Min says, gesturing to Yoongi.

Aria gives Yoongi a quick glance and massages the bridge of her nose.

"Is that a yes?" he asks.

Aria shrugs, her facial expression guarded.

"Great!" Mr. Min exclaims and Yoongi looks at his uncle, confused.

"Why me? And why have I not been asked about my opinion on this whole thing?" Yoongi asks.

"Because you heard her play, didn't you?" He asks and Yoongi frowns while Aria turns her gaze to the floor.

"How did you know?" He asks curiously.

"I had the same look in my eyes when I heard her play for the first time. And I figured since you both prefer to practice alone and late at night that you'd run into each other eventually. I'm glad it was sooner than later, though," Mr. Min replies. "And since you both have similar practice schedules, it'll be easy for the two of you to work together."

Aria rolls her eyes and walks back to her desk, shoving her belongings back into her backpack.

"This will be good for you, Aria. Trust me," Mr. Min says quietly as she walks past the two men at the front of the room.

She pauses at the door and slowly turns around to face them. She looks scared, terrified even.

But after giving them both a hesitant look, she slowly nods her head and then leaves the classroom hurriedly.

Quiet | BTS ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें